The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

My email is not working on my Mac

Customer Question

My mail has just stopped working on my Mac book pro. It will not send or receive.

Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 8 years ago.

Check to see if you are online by opening a web page. If you are, look to see if there is a lightning bolt or some other symbol to the right of your inbox. If there is, click it, and if prompted tell your Mac to take all accounts back online. If that doesn't work, restart your computer and see if that shakes it free. Who is your email provider?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am online and I get the triangle sign. All accounts are online.

What happens if you click that triangle sign? Does it give you an option to make accounts active or go online? Also, did a restart resolve the issue? And, if you tell me your email provider, that might also give us an idea as to what settings are wrong, or causing this problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes I clicked it and placed the account online. The provider is

Here are the settings for net firms, including port settings. Please confirm in the mail preferences/accounts section that these are accurate. Also, you never answered whether you had done a restart already or not.

E-mail Address:***@******.***

Incoming Mail Server (POP): (POP port: 110)
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): (SMTP port: 25 or 587)
POP Account Name:***@******.***
Password: Your WebMail Password

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Mail just times out every time it tries to connect to the server. But my PC on the same network has no problems. Also when I click on the triangle! The symbol of the account it tells me there may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account "my email account" or try again.
The server error encountered was: The connection to the server " on port 25 timed out.

Yes I have restarted several times; this has been going on since yesterday. I also checked all these settings and they are correct. It used to work. I changed ports and retried double checked account info and passwords. None of this solved this problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My current port is 110 for pop.

Try a permissions repair by going to the utilities folder, which is inside the applications folder, and running disk utility, and repairing the permissions on your drive. You can also try un-enabling the faulty account, and recreating the settings on a new account to see if you can shake the problem. As a last resort (and only a last resort), try deleting the mail programs preference file, located in your home account, inside your library, inside the preferences folder. It is called Quit mail, throw that plist away, and restart mail.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oh I did do the permissions repair yesterday I forgot to mention that but it also did not resolve the problem. Not sure I'm ready to delete plist yet but I may be headed they way.