Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

Hello... I have a ibook g4, using 10.3.9 and would like to

Hello... I have a ibook g4, using 10.3.9 and would like to use my old laserwriter 320 to print documents. I have purchased an asante printer bridge off ebay and hooked it up directly between the 320 and the ibook. How do I get the ibook to recognize the 320? Do I have to load a driver? What order do I have to turn the three devices on to be able to print? 'Customer'
Technically the printer should always be the first to be turned on but, it usually doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure you will have to make sure Appletalk is turned on in the Network pane of System Preferences. Then go to Print & Fax and then click the + symbol to add your printer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello... It didn't work... With airport on, I went to sys. pref./network/built-in ethernet/and configure which went to a new box where I clicked on appletalk and the apply buttom. I then went to sys. pref./print & fax/printer setup utility where I clicked on 'add/+' which in turn opened up the printer list box with IP selected in an untitled option box (other options), 'LPD/LPP' in another option box identified as printer type (other options), printer address box-blank, queue name box-blank, and printer model option box which led me to Apple and then to LW 320 which I was able to highlight. BUT, the 'add' buttom was not highlighted. I tried going back up to the option box where IP is selected and chose instead appletalk which gave me a blank box with a smaller printer option box which was not highlighted, nor was the add buttom. I then went back to the beginning, turned airport off, follwoed the same procedure through built-in ethernet and when the next box appeared, I selected appletalk as before, but this time the apply button was not highlighted. Any suggestions?
I read once with the setup you have to go to System Preferences/Print&Fax/Printer Setup Utility, click the add button, unplug the Asante for about 5 seconds then reconnect it. In about 5 seconds the printer will show up.