The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

My G5 imac has been acting strange latley. It freezes up frequently.

My G5 imac has been acting strange latley. It freezes up frequently. if I leave the room and any page is open it will have a black screen when i return and the fan will be loud. if i shut down with the power button for at least one hour t will be ok. also sometime I have to go into utilities and do Permissions repair and disk repair. The last two time it said that a "SUID" something was altered and will not be repaired
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 8 years ago.
Has anything changed recently? Download a new update? Add RAM? My first suggestion would be to go to apple's website, and grab the latest System Update. Download it and install it.

It's most likely one of three or possibly four things... 1) corrupted operating system (hence the reinstall), 2) Bad RAM, 3) hard drive related... and (4) Logic Board related (which would be the most serious)...

Is the computer still under warranty?