drpj, Mac Genius
Experience:  Providing Mac support in universities since 1984

I copies a bunch of photos to my desk top and know my imac

Customer Question

I copies a bunch of photos to my desk top and know my imac running on 10.3.9 just keeps hanging. I can run other programs like firefox fine but soon as I click on the desktop the pixxa wheel comes up and nothing happens.
Category: Mac
Expert:  drpj replied 8 years ago.
Try relaunching the Finder by selecting "Force Quit" from the Apple menu or typing command-option-keys keys simultaneously. When the Force Quit window open, choose "Finder" and the "Force Quit" button will change to "Relaunch". Click it and let us know how you make out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have tried this numerous times. Everytime i click on the desk top the response stops and the wheel starts turning. When I force quit the finder I can make one command at most before the same thing happens. Launching other programs are no problem just anyting to do with the finder and nothing happens.

I am sending this message on the same computer
Expert:  drpj replied 8 years ago.
Can you open the Terminal program? If so, open it and enter the following commands at the prompt:

• mkdir tempdesk
  • mv Desktop/* tempdesk/
Now see if you can get to your desktop.

Let me know how this works and I'll help you figure out which file(s) on your desktop were the problem causers.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am trying but it is very slow.....
Expert:  drpj replied 8 years ago.
Can you tell me what, exactly, is slow?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Whenever I click on anything related to the desk top. I open the applications file and it takes ten minutes to open. It has taken me 30 minutes to scroll down to find the terminal file and I am still not there yet.

This morning I want to copy some photo files (alot) from my camera to a file but i touched the desk top instead and since then this problem has persisted. I am unable to delete anything.

Program such a firfox seem to run pretty well - maybe a bit slow.
Expert:  drpj replied 8 years ago.
The terminal is in Utilities. If the Application folder window is in front, type a "u", when the utilities Folder icon appears, type command-o or double click it. Once it is open, type "t" to go down to the applications starting with "t". This is about the best you can do to speed it up.

let me know when you finally have Terminal running.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The problem seemed to solve itself after 4 hours it just went back to normal. I deleted all the picture files and that that!

Expert:  drpj replied 8 years ago.
I hope i was of some help.

Thanks for letting me help you.