drpj
drpj, Mac Genius
Experience:  Providing Mac support in universities since 1984

Have Apple Xserve RAID with 2008 Mac Pro for Video editing.

Customer Question

Have Apple Xserve RAID with 2008 Mac Pro for Video editing. All 14 slots populated 250 drives. Green lights everywhere on Xserve. Mac claims fibre channel links 1 and 2 active.   Xserve won't mount. No show on disk utility, drive genius, RAID admin. Has worked in the past but started to display problems on one of two volumes and then... poof. Any help most appreciated. John G.
Category: Mac
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
You're going to have to isolate the bad drive(s). It will take some work, but you need to check each drive individually until you find the one(s) that are preventing the array from mounting.
drpj, Mac Genius
Experience: Providing Mac support in universities since 1984
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes but... all drives have a green LED and given that, how do I determine the guilty party (ies)?
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your payment. I really appreciated the value you put on the time I spent helping you. About how to tell which one(s) is bad -- it or they won't mount all by itself.

You know, re-reading your initial post, I wonder if I misunderstood you. When you say the xserve won't mount, do you mean you can't find it on your network, or what? I was assuming you meant the RAID wouldn't mount on your xserve.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm using the xserve RAID via fibre channel for video editing. No network. Volumes no longer appear on the Mac Pro display (won't mount). One of my two volumes was dying before this happened... could not disc repaired... video problems, too.

But I think I'm beating a dead horse because operating in 0 RAID mode probably means that even if I can restore/rebuild the RAID all data (video) is lost... almost all of which was backed up elsewhere, anyway. And I have already purchased G-Tech G-SPEEd es RAID which is probably more than adequate for my needs.

Worry not about the $15.00. I'm happy to support justanswer.mac. By the way, I divide my time between Colorado (here now) and Florida. My legal residence is Naples.