Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

Mac this problem started yesterday only some of my programs Sent

Customer Question

Mac
this problem started yesterday: only some of my programs
Sent to Mac Experts October 02 05:27 PM

this problem started yesterday:

only some of my programs are working on the internet. Safari, versiontracker, itunes and software update are not connected, but firefox, entourage and skype are. I've used the network diagnostics and internet connection assistant and that shows I am connected.
Firefox, Skype, Mail and Entourage work fine.
I have restarted a few times.
I have a 17in Mac Powerbook and am running OS 10.4.11

The other MACs in the office are working fine. They can connect via itunes, Safari, software update and versiontrackerPro, but I cannot.

I can get to www.versiontracker.com but my versiontrackerPro will not connect.

I tried connecting via Safari to http://17.112.152.32/ and got the message that Safari could not connect because it could not find the server.
I downloaded the DNSchanger removal tool and I do NOT have that trojan horse.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Create a new user and see if you get the same problem. If you don't get the problem in the new user, it's a home folder preference problem. If you do get the problem, try this:

Restart holding the Command S keys

At the prompt type fsck -f

Make sure there is a blank space between the k and -

After it repairs your drive and says it seems to be ok type reboot and hit the return key and your Mac will start up in normal mode.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked by adding a new user and the problem persisted.
What does restarting with Command S and then typing "fsck -f" do?
Should I be doing a disk repair first?
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
fsck stands for File System Check and the F forces the check. But, it's basically the same thing as inserting your system software/restore disks and booting from that, opening Disk Utility and clicking on repair disk instead of repair permissions. Doing fsck just lets you repair your disk without having to get your install DVD/CD. It's faster.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Rob,

This did NOT work.

My Safari, iclock, versiontracker and software update are still not connecting to the internet. My Firefox, entourage, mail and skype do connect. I posted an accept prematurely. Do you have any other ideas?

Barbara.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Are you using a router like an Airport or another brand router for your internet access?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am using an airport extreme. The other Macs using the same network do NOT have the problem. I have a MacBook and all the apps are working fine with the internet. The same for my husband's imac and laptop.

We use AirPort Disk Utility.app version 1.5.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
It would be interesting to see if your MacBook Pro works correctly at another wireless access point like a library. If it did, there is some setting in the Airport Extreme. If you did that and the laptop still doesn't work correctly the only option I would have then is to backup your hard drive, reformat it and reinstall the operating system and copy all data back to the computer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ouch, I really don't want to do that since the 17 inch is my main computer. The MacBook is my travel computer.

But I will definitely back up everything.
I'm surprised this problem has not been reported before.

Obviously my airport extreme is working OK because 5 of the Macs on it work OK. Just my 17inch is not connecting correctly. Is there a good understandable resource for learning about ports? I did not change any, but those may be different on some of the other Macs.

Thanks for the help so far.

Barbara
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Another thing you could try is zap the PRAM by restarting holding the Command Option P R keys until you hear three startup chimes then release. Let it start up and see how things go then.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Let me try that.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
One more thing to try is the old stand-by....repairing permissions by going to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, open Disk Utility and select your hard drive and click repair permissions. Restart and see how that goes.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to throw one more thing at you. I started using a recommendation of a friend to go to http://www.opendns.com/. You go there and click the link that says "start using now, it's free". I'll tell you what it says do here if you don't want to go there. Go to System Preferences/Network, click Airport, Advanced, DNS. If you have some numbers showing there that can be clicked, click them and then the minus button to delete them. Then add:

208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

Since you have a Airport base station you may have to enter it there also.

Sounds weird but I've seen this solve problems for other people.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nope. Did not work.
I ordered Disk warrior and when I get that, I'll try it out.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Other than checking your laptop on another network to see if that works ok or initializing your hard drive and starting all over, I'm out of ideas. I'm going to opt-out of this so another Mac Genius can figure this out. I hope Disk Warrior works for you or another Mac Genius.

You take care, good luck and thanks for using justanswer.com.
Expert:  drpj replied 6 years ago.
Barbara,

It seems to me that Safari and Versiontracker, etc. are timing out sooner than Firefox while they wait for an answer from your DNS server. If another expert is not working on this, let me know and I'll give you some suggestions. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, though.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Here is the answer. How the problem started is a mystery.

I called Apple Support and after a few things that did not work I was directed to do the following:Systems Preferences:Internet: Network: Airport: Advanced: proxies

Uncheck "webproxies"

I did this and all worked. We have no idea how I started this problem, but this fixed it.

Safari, Software Update, Itunes, iclock, verstiontrackerPro all work.
And all the other progrmas entourage, mail, firefox, skype, do too.

One of the users on Macfixit also gave me this advice or procedure to check.
"You may have accidentally specified some proxy servers.

Click System Preferences. Click Network. Double-click the connection you use to connect to the Internet (Ethernet or AirPort). Click the Proxies tab. Make sure you have no proxies set and that all the checkboxes for proxy server settings are turned off."

Thanks for your help with this. I posted this so you could all benefit from it.
Expert:  drpj replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it. Sometimes for no apparent reason a setting will get changed. Sorry we weren't able to help.

Peter