Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

only some of my programs are working on the internet. Safari,

Customer Question

only some of my programs are working on the internet. Safari, versiontracker, and software update are not connected, but firefox, entourage and skype are. I've used the network diagnostics and that shows I am connected.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
In FireFox, can you get to VersionTracker.com?

Is it just Safari that cannot connect to that site?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can get where I need to with Firefox. The versiontracker that is not working in the versiontracker pro program or app.
The programs Safari, Versiontracker Pro, and software update are the programs that claim I am not connected to the internet.
Firefox, skype, network diagnostics assistant, entourage and Mail all connect fine and are working well.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Are you by chance connected to your network with both Wireless and Ethernet?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, just with wireless using airport extreme.
This only started yesterday.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok.

Since there are a few of them not working and a few working, I am not sure this is YOUR problem, but maybe a hiccup on the Internet.

Since VersionTracker .com and VersionTracker the app connect to the same place, can you get to the web site with a browser?

Does Safari connect to anything?

Can you try an IP address for me? put this in the addressbar and hit return
17.112.152.32
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I can get to versiontracker.com with Firefox.
I connect to the IP with Firefox and saw a very nice iphone.
I tried the IP address with Safari and got: "Safari can’t connect to the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://17.112.152.32/” because it could not connect to the server “17.112.152.32”."
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK.

Let's delete Safari's preference file.

Do this:

Quit Safari

Go to your Home Folder.

Look for the Library folder. Open it.

Look for the Preferences Folder. Open it.

Look for the file named "com.apple.Safari.plist"

Delete it.

Open Safari. Try to go to a web site.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How will this affect itunes and software update and versiontracker?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
It won't but I want to make sure of something first.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It did not work.
I deleted the
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok.

I am nlot a network expert so I will opt-out and let another Expert.

I can't for the life of me see any reason why some network activity is going through and some is not.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Whoops.
I deleted the file you said to delete and tried Safari once again. No change -- did not work.

BTW, my husband has 2 Macs (Mackbook and Imac) they are working fine.
My Mac is a 17 inch powerbook. My 13in Macbook is working fine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry Mike,

I finally got the answer from Apple support. It appears that at some point somehow, I or a program changed the webproxies.

I was told to go to System Preferences/Internet&Network/Network/Advanced(with Airport selected)/Proxies and uncheck webproxies.
It took Apple awhile to figure this out also.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
glad you got it figured out.

mike