drpj
drpj, Mac Genius
Experience:  Providing Mac support in universities since 1984
11304259

Hello-My iMac seems to be writing to the internal disc for

Hello-My iMac seems to be writing to the internal disc for all the processing.I have what seems to be plenty of real and virtual memory and am currently running a program that requires extensive processing.Is there any way to troubleshoot the reason for all this writing to the disc?Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Try opening iTunes or DVD Player and hit the Eject button in the Application.

This usually does the trick when the Drive forgets it has something in there.

In iTunes, go to Controls Menu. Eject disc is at the bottom.

In DVD Player, you can go to Controls menu, at the bottom. Or, in the mini-controller, click Eject.

If neither works, then shut down the MacBook, hold down your Mouse Button or track pad button and turn it on. Keep the button pressed until the Mac ejects the disc or has started to boot up.

If this works, please click Accept. If not, reply back here.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello- The problem isn't that I have a disc in the computer.My discs are all out of the computer. The only disc remaining is the internal harddrive which the computer is writing to instead of using system memory.Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok.

It sounds like the Mac is using virtual memory or is indexing the drive.

What is giving you the impression that the disk is being used too much?

How much internal RAM, physical memory does your Mac have?

Let me know, and sorry about the wrong answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks- I have 1024MB of real memory with 619 mb active,310MB inactive,80 wired and 13.16Mb free.I have 4.24 GB of virtual memory.I get the impression that is using the disc to much because the processing is taking a very long time and the activity monitor shows a lot of writing and reading occurring to the disc. I also hear a lot of clicking when it is processing. Thanks
Expert:  drpj replied 6 years ago.
I had this problem once when i turned on logging to troubleshoot another problem and forgot to turn it off. it soon filled up my hard drive. Try using the console program in Utilities to see if a lot of log messages are being generated by some process or other.
drpj, Mac Genius
Experience: Providing Mac support in universities since 1984
Expert:  drpj replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, I'm glad i could be of assistance.
drpj, Mac Genius