Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

There is a pink flourscent vertical line on my desk top. It

Customer Question

There is a pink flourscent vertical line on my desk top. It appears to run from the centre top (camera) to the bottom. It doesn't interfere with anything, it doesn't move anywhere and it doesn't show up on e-mail page. Can you tell me if this is serious?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hopefully not.

1) Try changing your desktop picture.
2) Try zapping the PRAM by restarting, holding Command Option P R until you hear 3 startup chimes then release.
3) Download the JScreenfix app from here and run it:   http://www.jscreenfix.com/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I tried #1 and #3, with no success, but I don't understand #2. I understand holding the Command and Option buttons, but I don't know about the "P or R" after the Command Option or what "Zapping the PRAM" means. Can you help me further?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Zapping the PRAM resets some settings back to original when the computer was new. It doesn't reset any applications themselves so you have nothing to worry about. All you will notice is the volume will be set to mid level.

Another thing to try is go to XXXXX/Displays and change the colors to thousands and then back to millions.

You said it only shows up on the desktop, not in Mail. What about all other applications, does this line show in any other apps?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. The pink line is faintly showing on my mail screen - it's just much more noticeable on the desktop because the background it blue. I tried Word and Excel to see if it shows, and it seems to be on the desktop only .... I can see it on the dock at the bottom of the screen when the other applications are open.

2. I tried adjusting the System Preferences/Displays as you suggested, but the pink line is still there.

3. I'd like to zapp the PRAM, but I'd like to know exactly what buttons to press first ... (What about the P and R)

Thanks,
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
This is a hardware problem, probably on the logic board or perhaps just the connector ribbon cable. Is this a laptop or an iMac? At any rate, send it in to Apple if it's still under warrantee. It can come and go, but it could get worse.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
This may be a hardware problem like Dr. Peter said but, I do like to exhaust all software possibilities. It doesn't matter which keys you press first. Just make sure you are pressing them all down until you hear 3 startup chimes. Command Option P R. If this doesn't get rid of the line, it's probably a hardware problem. If it is a hardware problem, sometimes you can press down on the "wrist portion" of the laptop and the line will alter, disappear or get worse. It's another way to test it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Since the computer x 20" monitor (not laptop) is exactly one year and one month old and I didn't purchase extended warranty I will use your software option. Then I will accept your response. Because it looks like I'm doomed. The only thing is ..... when I press "Command, and Option and P and R" There is a constant drum roll like repetitive pressing of a letter, no chimes. Am I doing it correctly?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I'm sure you're doing it correctly but you do have to have your fingers ready fast. As soon as you restart your computer and you see a black screen like it's been turned off, hold those keys down. Then there will be a 10-20 second delay and you'll hear another startup chime. Hold those keys down until you here three chimes after your original startup chime.

If it ends up being hardware. It depends on how annoying that line is to you whether you actually get it repaired or not. If Apple says $500 to repair, it depends on whether or not it's worth it to you.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh well, the 3 chimes didn't work either. The pink line isn't really annoying - it's just there. I don't know if it is serious or if it will interfere with the operations so I'll take the computer in sometime soon.   I'll accept your response now - and thank you for all of your help and suggestions.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I'm so sorry it ended up being a hardware problem. If you ever get another new Mac, buying the AppleCare ends up a being a pretty good value. Here is the best price location I have found to buy AppleCare:

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/featured.cgi?group=appcare

They have iMac AppleCare for $120, Display care for $50. You have to order online to get that special pricing.