Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

I have an iMac. I have the latest update iTunes 8. It has

Customer Question

I have an iMac. I have the latest update: iTunes 8. It has been working fine until 24 hrs ago and now it won't open. It just bounces at the bottom of my screen. I can open it through Applications but can't get on to the iTunes store or manage my music library. Don't know what to do despite looking at discussion forums. Tried removing Genius (one suggestion) but that didn't fix it either.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Try repairing permissions with Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder and restart.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry Rob, but that didn't work.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Quit iTunes. Go to your home folder and open the Library folder. Then go to Preferences, open that and go to the file named:

com.apple.itunes.plist

take that file and put it on your desktop. Now open iTunes. This should work but it will probably reset all music and you may have to add it all back in again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you mean I will lose my whole music library including downloads?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
You won't lose them as in they won't disappear from your hard drive but, the next time you open iTunes it may be empty and you may be asked if you want iTunes to find all the music on your hard drive.

If you don't want to do that another thing to try is restart and hold they keys Command S. This starts up in a unix mode and you'll see a black background with white text. After seeing some text automatically run it will stop. When it stops type:

fsck -f

hit the return key

it will run system diagnostics and after it completes will say the computer seems to be ok. Then type:

reboot

hit return and your computer will start back up normally.

One way to find out if your iTunes preferences have gone corrupt is to create a new user and open iTunes in that new user and see if it works ok. If it works ok then your preferences are corrupt on your main user and you will probably have to do that more drastic step of putting the preferences on your desktop. The reason I say put the preferences on your desktop is if you want to keep the old preferences, you can always put it back where it came from but, if they are corrupt, iTunes still won't work right.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rob. Okay, did all that you suggested. Setting up a New User enabled me to open a basic version of iTunes with nothing in it but with access to iTunes. When trying to import all the music stored on my hard drive, despite having the new user with full administration rights, each ot the music, movies and documents files under my real user name show up as 0kb with a "do Not Enter" sign across them so clearly I can't access those or import them to the new user, despite rights. Those files do have all the content in them however under my real user name. In terms of the procedure of moving iTunes preferences onto the desktop, etc etc. Did all that and still could not open iTunes in my real user account. Is this a bigger Apple problem than just my computer?   Still puzzled and unsolved. regards,
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
If you use Time Machine with a backup hard drive you could go back a few days in Time Machine and get the iTunes preferences and place them in the Home/Library/Preferences folder. But first remove the current preferences and place it on the desktop.

Again, in your main user, you can put your iTunes preferences on your desktop, restart and open iTunes and you should get a fresh start with iTunes. You can always put the old preferences back if you want.

If you want to be able to get those music files used on the new user, this should work; copy your Music folder to Hard Drive/Users/Shared.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. am fairly new to Mac having only just gone through the massive conversion of all stuff from my PC to my Mac over the past 5 weeks. Somewhere along the way I seem to have lost a couple of photos files which is a real bummer. Anyway, I need to go read the iMac instructions and get acquainted with Time Machine. Am still working my way through the ins and outs of using Mac. Will give what you suggest a try but this could take me a little time. Will revert back when I'm at the next stage.....sigh. onwards and upwards right?
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
If you do have a backup hard drive that uses Time Machine what you do is go to Applications/Time Machine. Open Time Machine. You'll get a screen with a Finder window. What you do is locate the iTunes preferences file in that window, click it to select it, then there is a arrow button at the lower right of the screen that says Restore, click restore and Time Machine will import that older preference file that was working ok a few days ago. If you get a question asked if you want to replace or keep both files select keep both and Time Machine will put a 1 at the end of the file it brings back. Then you can put the bad preference file on your desktop and then rename the file brought back by taking the 1 off of it and all should be lovely.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
           I see Apple just released an update for iTunes. Install it and see if it cures all.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rob,
The back up hard drive I had was a Backup4All which is compatible with my Windows XP on my PC but not my Mac. So I probably need to go get a Time Machine compatible hard drive now. Or consider using an online backup service (any recommendations?). So skipped that option to restore iTunes.

Then I acquired two more problems in that I was unable to register my AppleCare Protection Plan, and Mobileme not accepting my email confirmed ID, so had to speak to an Apple tech support person. So while I had him on the phone we tackled the iTunes thing as well (which had also escalated into a Quicktime issue too. He had me redo all the things you suggested - which we did - and it didn't work (including setting up the new user account). What did work was removing every single file in applicatons that was remotely connected with iTunes and Quicktime (coz I was having the same problem with Quicktime too). then downloaded the latest latest version of iTunes, which then at least got the home iTunes page open. Then uploaded through Add to Library, all my music stored on the MacHD. So now we're back in business.    

I will still send through a payment for all the help and support you gave me through this. Thank you.
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Glad you got this fixed. Any hard drive will work ok for TimeMachine. I highly recommend using TimeMachine. With the problem you just had it could have been fixed by opening a Finder window and going to Home/Library and clicking once on Preferences to highlight it, launching TimeMachine and restoring the preferences folder from the day or so before this problem happened. Chances are the problem would have been solved right then. TimeMachine is an awesome app.