Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

My Dvd is stuck inside my Macbook, not pro, CD drive. I cannot

Customer Question

My Dvd is stuck inside my Macbook, not pro, CD drive. I cannot eject it, and it won't register on the computer that it is there and i know for a fact that there is a DVD in there. I've tried doing the turning off and hitting the touchpad button when it starts up and it doesn't work so I am stuck. What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Try opening Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder, select the disk if it shows up and click the eject icon in the menu bar.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried and when I clicked on the disk drive it comes up asking me if I want to erase something. Obviously I don't however, the eject button will not click because it thinks the disk is not in the drive... the problem is that it is in the drive and I can't get it out.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
1) You could put together a playlist to burn a CD in iTunes and click the burn button and hopefully it will spit out the unrecognized DVD

2) Try restarting and right after the startup chime hold the eject key for about a minute. If it fully reboots to normal desktop this didn't work.

3) While running normally you could try holding the command or option key while hitting the eject key. Or both with the eject key.

4) Sometimes just letting the computer run for several minutes doing other things and it will realize the DVD is unreadable and automatically eject.

5) Tilt the computer forward about 45 degrees and press eject.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing there seemed to work... I think it might be some kind of alignment issue or something. Is there any way to manually retrieve the disk? Perhaps opening it and putting it back together safely or would it be a better idea to find someone to do this for me?

If so, how would i find them?

I tried tilting the laptop at a 40 degree angle and hitting eject and that didn't work. I tired opening Itunes and burning a CD and ITunes told me ton 'Please insert a blank disk.'
When I tried ejecting the disk the first time, I hit the eject button and the icon disappeared from my desk top like it normally does, but the disk did not come out. I think that the laptop is not recognizing that there is anything in the slot at all.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Yeah, not good. Before trying the manual pullout, there is one more thing to try. Restart and hold down Command S. This starts the computer in a unix text mode. At the prompt type:

eject cd

hit the return key then type reboot and hit the return key again and your computer will start up normally again. At the point of typing eject cd and hitting return, the CD should come out then. Hope this works. If not, I have heard of people taking a thin plastic card and sticking it inside where the CD goes and waving it back and forth and it stops the CD from spinning and spits it out. Also if you have a small enough pair of tweezers you could try to get it out with that. I did that once and it worked in a Mac Mini but it ruined the CD. But I guess that's not a worry at this point.