drpj
drpj, Mac Genius
Experience:  Providing Mac support in universities since 1984
11304259

I am having 2 problems with my new Mac 1) getting it to recognize

Customer Question

I am having 2 problems with my new Mac: 1) getting it to recognize my HP printer operating on my wireless network; 2) get Parallels and Windows XP SP2 loaded so I can run Windows apps.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
I don't have Parallels but VM Ware Fusion so all I can do is point you to a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZY4lGrbsPk

With your printer, your best bet is to directly connect your printer to the Linksys router. Then go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and add the printer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is not helpful. I need someone with Parallels experience to walk me through the process step by step. As far as the printer goes, I have no idea how to connect it "directly" to the Linksys router, but we added the Netgear hardware a year ago because we could not get a good connection to the Linksys network. It worked flawlessly 3 weeks ago when interfacing with a Windows OS machine. I'd need to understand WHY the Netgear hardware now needs to be removed.
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
As far as your Parallels issue is concerned, I can help.
I assume you've installed Parallels and have a Parallels folder in your Applications folder and in that you have a number of icons. When you double click the Parallels Desktop icon (which may have .app as an extension) it should open up Parallels.
  1. Once that is running, choose "New" from the "File" menu and select "Typical" installation mode.
  2. Click "Next" and then "Next" again on the next screen as Windows and Windows XP are the default choices.
  3. Give your VM a name (or accept the default name) and click "Next" again
  4. Click "Next" again to accept the "Virtual machine" default choice.
  5. Insert your WinXP CD into the drive now and click "Finish"
If this doesn't work, let me know. If it does, also let me know. I'll be researching the Printer issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Peter

When I double-click the Parallels Desktop icon, I get a dialog box that says "Parallels Desktop quit unexpectedly" .. then gives me 3 options "Ignore", "Report" "Relaunch". Selection of "Relaunch" opens a larger dialog box that is Titled "My Boot Camp" and its got a bunch of configuration stuff on it, none of which I know what to do with.
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
  1. What version of Parallels are you using?
  2. Did you install Boot Camp at some point to run Windows?
  3. What version and subversion of Mac OS are you running (look under "About this Mac" in the Apple menu)

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Peter:

1. Running 3.0 version of Parallels
2. Yes, was told at Apple Store needed to run Boot Camp
3. Version 10.5.4 of Mac OS

Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
You don't need Boot Camp to run Parallels. I imagine this is causing the problem. Can you uninstall Boot Camp?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will try and revert. thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cannot figure out how to uninstall Boot camp. It appears to be an installed sub-component of my Mac OS version. Do I even need Parallels? or can I install Windows XP with Boot Camp? What does Parallels do for me?
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
The difference between Boot Camp and parallels is that with Boot Camp you can boot your Mac into either Mac OS or Windows. Parallels lets you run Windows at the same time as Mac OS.

So, if you don't mind rebooting and not easily sharing info between the two operating systems, Boot Camp is OK.

If you want to avoid rebooting and use a Windows/only program like Visio while also working on a Mac program, them Parallels is what you want.

I'll get back to you soon with info on removing Boot Camp, if you want. Please let me know. Also what model of Mac are you using?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Peter:

Yes, I would like to do what Parallels offers in terms of flexibility. Yes, if Boot Camp needs to be removed to run Parallels, then that is what I'm like to do. Seems strange Apple would add Boot Camp as a installed app and then recommend one buy Parallels and it doesn't work with Boot Camp. This seems like such an obvious conflict?

I'm not sure what "Model" this is. It's an iMac desktop?
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
OK.

1. To remove Boot Camp, open the Boot Camp Assistant program (in the Utilities folder) and chose the option to remove windows and restore my drive into a single partition.
  2. Next I would uninstall Parallels by dragging the Parallels folder to the trash. you need to have Admin rights to do this.
  3. Next I would install Parallels from the CD and then create a new virtual machine and install Windows XP on it.
Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I create a"new virtual machine" from Parallels? I thought that's what Boot Camp did? Create a separate partition?
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
No need for a separate partition. Parallels creates a "virtual hard drive" for the Windows OS.

1. Launch parallels
  2. Choose "New>" from the File menu and follow the steps outlines in the succeeding dialogs.
If Parallels still crashes after you've removed Boot Camp and restarted, let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok Dr. Peter:

Did all and Parallels re-installed. Inserted Windows XP SP2 disk and nothing happens?
Expert:  drpj replied 5 years ago.
You've started up Parallels and Chosen "New>" from the File menu.
You should have gotten a screen that gives you three choices, which choice did you choose?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Forget it, I'm right back to where I started. Now telling me it can't run Parallels because "Boot Camp is not installed on this computer".