The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
11634089

hi, my macbook got hung whilst downloading some software updates.

Customer Question

hi, my macbook got hung whilst downloading some software updates. i (probably stupidly) disconnected from the power. now i cannot start my machine. when i turn it on i get the white screen with the apple logo and the spiral circle timer, then a plain blue screen, then back to the white screen with the spiral timer, but now it is not spinning, just stuck.
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 8 years ago.
Do you have another mac around?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No I don't... can you help with the problem?
we need either the system disk for your computer, or another mac to solve this problem without going to the apple store. Can you get your hands on either of those things?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hmm I fear possibly not... excuse my computer illiteracy, how might I get hold of my system disk?
Your computer should have come with disks. They can be used to reinstall the partially installed update so the computer can start up again. Without a disk or another mac, you will have only 2 options. 1, go to the apple store near you. Make an appointment online with a genius, and they'll fix it for you for free, or 2, purchase an operating system disk, so we can repair the operating system. Leopard costs about $129 and can be purchased at Best Buy, apple stores, or Frys. let me know which way you'd like to go, or if you can find a disk or another mac let me know that, and we'll take the next step.