Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I dropped my macBook about 8 while it was on, it continued

Customer Question

I dropped my macBook about 8" while it was on, it continued to operate normally during that session. When I shutdown and stated up a while later, my desktop appeared normally but without the top finder menu and none of the application icons would operate. The pointer is not frozen, but the screen dosn't operate. I can only shut it down manually by holding the on/off button down. The hardware check utility checks out negative. My system is OSX1.0.3 (116.1). Suggestions? Stumped in Minnetonka
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi.

First. Turn off the MacBook and then turn it on while holding down the shift key.

Keep the key down until you see some sign of booting up. Wait until it finishes loading, log in and then immediately shutdown again.

Restart normally and log in. See if the problem remains.

If it does, then get your Installer disk out and boot into the installer by holding down the 'C' key at startup. When the installer runs, choose the language and then, from the menubar, choose Utilities either from the menubar or loom for Disk Utility in the Apple menu.

In here, run First Aid on your hard drive. Reboot when finished (quit and restart) and let boot normally

If the problem still exists, we may ahve hardware damage to the hard drive platters or heads from literally crashing.

Let me know if this works. If so, Please click Accept.

If not, reply back.

mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
mike:
when I try the safe boot , holding the shift key the multi color wheel comes up and dosn't stop. 20 min is as long as I've waited.I went to the first aid , It said the disk was mess up, clicked repair said it fixed it . It still acts ther same.on shift start and reg startup.will try all again . advise
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi.

When you run disk first aid, smetimes it is a good idea to run it again, and maybe again, until the disk is completely cleared of errors.

Try first aid again and this time, if it says it fixed some things, then run it again. If it says it fixed the same thigs again, run once more. If the same result, then we may have to format the hard drive.

Do you have another Mac available? I would like to try something.

Let me know,
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Do you still need help with this question?

Let me know,