Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have just managed accidentally to put my whole folder of

I have just managed accidentally to put my whole folder of work documents into Trash whilst I was emptying Trash to clear space. Is there a way to recover them, please?   Using MacBook Pro with OS X
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok. So, did you Empty the trash as well?

Let me know.

Meanwhile DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE. We want the ability to get them back.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, Trash was emptied - that's the nub of the problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
OK. Very important you do nothing else like copying files, moving files, or anything else that may write to the drive.

The Trash can is simply a folder. When it is emptied, the OS tells the hard drive that the directory (folder) is now empty.

It DOES NOT however, remove the actual files, just pointers to the files. they are in fact still there.

Do you have any File Recovery software like Norton Disk Tools, or Data Rescue?

Let me know because you will need a software package that can look for deleted files and then let you recover them.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the reassurance; I thought that they were still in there somewhere.

No, I don't have any recovery software, though. Unless there is anything such as that in my Mac to begin with (probably not).
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
No. Apple only provides Disk utility and that will not work.

This is the app I use most for my disk recoveries. Data Rescue II

It works very well. And if you can keep the Mac from writing anything to the disk, ie; shut it down until recovery time, you stand a much higher chance of getting most, if not all, of your files back.

Let me know how it works out.

If this answer is acceptable, please click on Accept.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I understand the idea of using Data Rescue II - for which many thanks in recommending it. I don't understand all the options and boxes when I clicked on Accept.

I am certainly pleased to to accept your answer but what do I do with all those choices ...?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
I am sorry about any confusion.

I can report your concerns to our team and they can communicate with you what the choices are for and how to use them.

Thanks for accepting.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No problem and thanks again. Is there anything else though that I need to do to complete this dialogue correctly and so that you are paid?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
You are finished sir. Some folks like to leave feedback, but entirely up to you.

Thanks for using Just Answer and please come back if we can help you again.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay, and thanks very much for such quick and useful support,

Best wishes