Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Good evening, I have an iMac G3 Computer and was wondering

Good evening, I have an iMac G3 Computer and was wondering if there is a difference between iMac software and eMac software? I figure iMac software is for iMac and eMac software is for eMacs? I would like to know so I can install the correct software. Thank you. Rev. John S. Woods
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi.

All Apple software works on almost all Apples.

But... if you are referring to the Installer disks, then yes, emac is for emac and imac is for imac. Apple likes it that way.

If you mean iLife, iWork or other Apple sfotware, or for that matter, any software, all you need to do is make sure you have the correct specifications required by the software.

ie; Some video applications will run on most Macs, but if you don't have Firewire, then your camera won't sync.

Some applications require a certain processor, like a G3-800 MHZ or better and xx amount of ram.

These would be the only reasons that the apps may not work if your system is below the specs required.

So, short answer... if it is an installer that came with an eMac, then no it will not work on an iMac. But if it is an iWork/iLife disk, then yes, it probably will.

I hope this helps. If it does, please click Accept. If not, reply back to me.

Thanks,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I procure an iMac Installer for Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger?

I have been told that it would be better for me to run "Panther" on my iMac G3 instead of "Tiger" is this correct?

My iMac Computer is Snow, 600 MHz, DVD/CD, 512 MB Ram. I use either Safari or Firefox.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi.

For some reason this reply did not show up in my queue.

You can get Tiger from a few online sources like eBay.Just make sure to get a valid retail copy. Some sellers are resorting to making copies and selling them instead.

You can run Panther or Tiger. If you have enough memory and do not expect to dovideo work, or watch full screen HD movies on it.

I prefer Tiger, but it would be your call and also would depend on whether any software you have or are considering will require 10.4.11 or better, which some packages do.

A 600 MHz iMac with about 1GB ram should be just fine with Tiger.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist