Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Does Tiger OS X 10.4 install on the Imac G4

Does Tiger OS X 10.4 install on the Imac G4?
Yes, Tiger can and will install on an iMac G4. However, if you are thinking of Leopard, the latest OS X to come out, your iMac G4 must have a 867 MHz or faster processor to allow the install.

I would also recommend at least 1megabyte (MB) of ram. More is better. :-)
So, for Tiger, yes, for Leopard, maybe.

I hope this helps answer your question.

If it does, then please click Accept, if not please reply back.

thanks,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, so is it possible to increase the MHZ to 867. We do want to install Leopard but did not think it was possible. It sounds like you are saying it is?

Thank you,

Cindy
Ahhh... if you have an iMac G4, then no, you cannot upgrade the processor to a higher speed. If you had a Macintosh G4 (Tower) then yes you could with an upgrade card. But not the iMac unfortunately.

You would need to go out and upgrade the iMac to a G5 iMac by buying a new or refurbished/used unit with a higher processor speed.

No, what I was saying was if you meant Leopard in your question. I did not and cannot say it will install. It won't. Of course if your iMac IS faster than 867, go for it, but get lots of memory.

Only Tiger will work.

Hope this clears it up.