Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I just loaded OS X Leopard on my Mac this week and my SCR 243

Customer Question

I just loaded OS X Leopard on my Mac this week and my SCR 243 CAC card reader no longer works. Before I go into detail, can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
All I could find out from reading on the web and support sites is that the Mac OS X supports this natively now. I would suggest removing ANY drivers/Software that was installed to support this device and restart the Mac. Then connect the reader and see if it clears up.

I read that the drivers that were supplied with the device may be interfering and Mac OS X simply ignores it.

Let me know if this helps. If not, please reply back.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike, thanks for your answer however it did not help. I know this will probably be a difficult one.

V/R,
Derek
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok. There may be other stuff in there. Does your installer provide a remove option ?

If not, we may have to go digging around in the OS to remove the items manually or you can try AppZapper. It can find and remove many files installers place on your hard drive.

Meanwhile I will keep looking around for more info on this.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike, I successfully ran the uninstall function. Still no love....
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok. I'll get back as quick as I can. I am still looking around. Not much info on Leopard out there.

I'll be abck soon,
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
BTW... who manufactured or is the name on the card?

Is it SMC?

Let me know,
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Is this the file you were installing? Version 2?

you may have to follow the bouncing ball and go through the steps to get to the file. I did not want to link to the download without your permission.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike, it's scm microsystems SCR 243
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, this was the driver I downloaded however there is no difference in functionality with or without it installed. The computer senses the card reader (I get an icon in the top menu bar) but not the ID card when inserted in the reader. Keychain no longer recognizes the reader either.

P.S. I have a PowerBook G4 (non-intel)
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Some folks I am reading on discussions and mailing lists have not been able to successfully get this reader working. Some others get the reader working but some cards (Oberthur for example) do not load. One has said that the release version on SCM website is unstable in 10.5.

We may have a problem here. I emailed SCM support asking if they have any 10.5 solutions as the software is supposed to be installed with 10.5. Awaiting their reply.

I am just as confused as you right now.

I'll keep looking though.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Maybe we should try some basic stuff if you have not already done so:

Repair permissions - run Disk Utility and choose Repair Permissions

Reset Parameter Ram:
Turn off Mac and hold down OPTION COMMAND P and R keys and turn Mac back on. Let it chime 3 times, release keys, and then let it boot normally.

Reset Open Firmware:
Turn off Mac and hold down OPTION COMMAND O and F keys
release keys when screen appears
type the following exactly:
reset-nvram (return)
reset-all (return)
Mac will restart.

Let me know. maybe it is a permissions thing, maybe not, but worth a shot.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
All done to no avail

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
So far, I have only found it does not work or works sporadically.

I will have to wait until I hear from SCM support to get any other info.

If that's ok, then I will reply here with what they tell me.

Otherwise, I can Opt-out and allow the question to be continued by another Mac expert

Let me know what you would like.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
At this point Mike, that's the best lifeline I've seen!! I'll wait with you, thanks again.

V/R,
Derek
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
P.S. There's a guy at Apple, Shawn Geddis, that might be able to help...

V/R,
Derek
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Send me some info on him and I'll try to contact him and we can talk about it. Or ask him, if you have his info, if it's ok I contact him.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't have his contact info but if you google him, you can see some discussion threads that he takes part on regarding CAC and MAC issues.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
I am getting in touch with Shawn, and will await a reply from SCM.

Will get back to you as soon as I have some concrete info.

Thanks,