Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have moved my Iphot library to Time Capsule. Have made appropiate

Customer Question

I have moved my Iphot library to Time Capsule. Have made appropiate backups on disk 1st(smiles). But, everytime I shutdown and restart I have to choose to locate my LIbrary when i start Iphoto. I have chosen it repeatedly but upon restart have to tell computer where library is. Any way to 'force' computer to know where to look for library?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi.

We may have to do some preference file deleting and try again to set up the path.

Have you tried to delete the .plist file from your system?

Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, haven't tried that(.plist file) and not sure how to/steps?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Quit iPhoto if running

Go to your Home folder

Look for a folder called Library, open it

Look for a folder called Preferences, open it

look for a file called 'com.apple.iPhoto.plist'
move to trash. do not empty trash yet

restart iPhoto with Option key down and then tell it to open an existing library

point the dialog box to your library on the backup drive

Let iPhoto open and see if it has all your photos.

Quit iPhoto and re-open. Verify it opens the correct library.

Let me know how it works out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It works the same as before. Meaning it works until I turn off computer then upon restart or changing user, etc. Still have to repeat 'Choose Library' preference.
If I have to pay more for a detailed response/help will. Just HATe having to choose library for each user EVERY single time(smiles).
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK. Not sure why that did not work, but a trick I use with iTunes may work here.

Go to your Time Capsule drive and make an Alias of the iPhoto main library. Then go to the Pictures folder and rename any iPhoto libraries that are there.

now copy the alias of the iPhoto library you made earlier and drag it into your Pictures folder. Make sure iPhoto is closed while doing this.

Also, make sure you create the alias from the main iPhoto library file. See the pic below. It should look like this on your Time Capsule:
graphic

After you copy it over to your Pictures folder, then rename the Alias by removing Alias from the end of the name. It should now be called iPhoto Library.

When you open iPhoto, it always looks in the pictures folder. Now it will see a file correctly named and should open your pictures on the TC.

Let me know if this helps. If so, please click Accept.
If not, reply back.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi again. About to try these steps when i realized "I think" I discovered problem. LOL.
It seems the computer does know where to look, BUT sometimes Time Capsule doesn't open 'fully'. In other words there are times when I "showed(hold down option) and chose library and directed it to Time Capsule and Time Capsule doesn't open fully. In other words it doesn't show what is on time capsule immediately. Or even if i wait a minute it((TC) doesnt open. I have to close window and do it again.
BUT if Time Capsule is open, or connects correctly are shown then iphoto doesn't ask me to choose library. (sorry the above may be confusing)
Wondering is there a way to force Time Capsule to open fully upon startup/signing in, or should try the alias fix?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You are correct sir!

It does take a while to load the TC onto the desktop. Not only that, you are authenticating to it so you have access.

A way around this would be to make the TC a login item and have the Finder load it every time you log in to Mac OS X.

Try this, and forget the alias to the library, it will do the same thing if the volume is not loaded, have the TC on the desktop or at least mounted and you can see the contents.

Make an alias of the TC hard Drive.

Open System Preferences and click on Accounts

Click on login Items for your account, the tab on the right, not at the bottom.

Drag the Alias of the TC to this window and make sure it is in the list.

Close the windows.

Open iPhoto and verify it sees the library without choosing it.

Log out or restart and log back in. Try iPhoto. Your TC should be on the Desktop already waiting.

Let me know.

If this helps, please click Accept. If not, reply back.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay about to try. Excuse the ignorance but Alias doesn;t pop up for TC?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
When you click once on the TC icon, you do not get 'Make an Alias' in the File Menu?

Are you clicking on the icon in the left sidebar or on the Desktop? We need it on the Desktop. the Sidebar already shows Aliases and you can't make an alias of an alias.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Uh-oh. lol. I don't have a TC icon on desktop? Never have. Have the MAC HD icon. SHould i just copy TC icon and put on desktop?
Was clicking on sidebar- after I hit Macintosh HD.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok.

YourFinder preferences are set to ot show devices. This is easy to fix and you can then hide them again.

Go to the Finder and then to the Finder Menu.

Choose Preferences and click on General tab.

Check the box next to all the choices of what to show on the desktop.

Close the window.

Now go and make the alias. Th TC will be there along with any cd/dvds, servers, and you Mac HD.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1. I can hit accept and continue this. Starting to feel bad about how long this is taking? I'll pay again..
2 Almost there i Think? Worked until I restarted and then showed Time Capture Alias , but showed it blank(empty.w/o files). Then when I click Iphoto does same thing. (sigh)
Now. was wondering if this had anything to do with changing name of time capsule? Changed it once and renamed it recently. Notices that Alias has old name of time capsule. New name is XXXXX XXXXX but old name is XXXXX XXXXX when open TC from sidebar?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
That sounds like a different issue.

You say Time Capsule Alias. Is that the name that shows on Desktop after restart?

Is the Alias to the TC in the Login Items in the User account?

If it is in there, the only thing that should be on the Desktop is the TC and your Hard Drive.

The TC name is XXXXX XXXXX It is what everything uses to access that volume. If the volume name changes, it looks like a different drive to anything that linked to it before,

Try this. Go back to login items in Accounts and delete that alias from the list.

Drag the TC to the trash to eject it from the Desktop. It should still show in the SideBar. It just won't be mounted.

Now restart or log out/log in. Click on TC and mount it on Desktop. Now, do the same as before... except this time, no alias. Just drag the TC to the Login Items of your account.

Close the Accounts window, make sure iPhoto can see it, and log out/log in. Try iPhoto again.

Let me know. You can accept and continue and accept again, your call. Or, you can increase value of question.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay.ThinkI'm there. Almost. Did everything, problem is ex. restart wait. photo booth same problem. I Check in system pref. shows Time capusle with a RED minus sign thru it. . Guessing that's the problem. (sys pref-Login Items).
Now if i go to Mac Hd and then DOUBLE CLICK TC then it works. Another problem. 3rd time i tried after login and wait for a minute TC wasn't even in sidebar? But i could sign online etc and everything(wifi thru TC) etc.? (when i switched user in other usaers sidebar). Only showed devices, places,search for).
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok. I am seriously confused. Lol.

So, when you restart sometimes the TC does not even show up, yet you still have access through it to the Internet.

Also, when you switch users, the TC does not even show in SideBar. (this may be a preference setting).

I wonder if the TC just needs to be erased and reformatted. It sounds to me like it is unstable and just not working 100%.

One other question... Do you access this through the wireless only or do you also have it connected via Ethernet?

Let me now,
mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Seems again, of course, was my error. The name change of Time Capsule seems to have messed things up. Fixed it. Seems to be working now. Restarting and checking. Not a biggie, But I checked hide BUT box still pops up when User logs in that shows.
In other words the Time Capsule window pops up. Again could live with this, just wondering if hide checked why it pops up. BUT Iphoto works now. Links to TC.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok. That actually makes sense. You can hide processes but not volumes. The Finder is doing what I would expect. The login item is asking to mount a drive and the Finder is complying. There would be no reason to mount a drive and then hide it.

I think if all is working, then we got it. The window opening is just a minor inconvenience.

I hope this has helped you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It did. i clicked accept on answer. posting followup with about 3 questions for $40. do i just ask in this box and after hit accept ot have to post questions 1st again all over?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
If you ave more questions move to the other thread you started and wqe can go from there.

Thanks,