adski, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Supporting Macs for graphic designers for several years

(keep in computers please)how to encrypt every text entered in a brows

Customer Question

how to encrypt every text entered in a browser ? basically to prevent key logger software by encrypting every information over the web. specially a software for MAC
Category: Mac
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
I'm afraid due to the way keyloggers work, internet encryption is not enough to prevent your personal data being logged.

To understand this, you need to understand how internet encryption works - for example when you put your credit card details into a browser. When you submit the details, the data is encrypted, and then sent to the website you are purchasing from.

This protects the details in transit only - and only prevents someone who is 'sniffing' your wireless connection without your authority, or someone at your internet provider accessing your details. In essence it protects it while it is transmitted from you to the website you are buying from.

Keyloggers work by capturing the keys *as you press them*. This is before the credit card number is XXXXX over the internet, and before your web browser even sees the letters - it literally 'hooks' what you are typing, records it, then passes each letter on to your web browser (or whichever application you are using). This happens long before the information is encrypted, and usually without you noticing it is happening.

The only reliable way to protect your details from keyloggers is to run anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and preferably firewall software too. If you suspect you have a keylogger installed, get some up-to-date anti-virus software and run a full scan of your computer, removing any signs or a virus or keylogger.

There is a very small chance that someone is using a hardware key logger. This is a device which someone physically connects between your keyboard and your computer, and logs what you type. Someone would have to have physical access to your PC to install this, and can easily find it if you check the cables and connections from your keyboard to your PC - anything unexpected between the two could be a hardware keylogger.

I hope this answers your question :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My question is more specific. i better understand the way how Key Loggers and Encryption works! if i am pressing a key on my compute keyboard, the software i am asking for will give a encrypted text to the program / software that logs my key strokes; by the way cheating any key logger program.

for example, if i am using a windows computer and using mozilla browser and log into any website and type in the username and password, the software will encrypt my keystrokes when i press my key however the correct word will be printed in the browser text fields.

Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
I'm afraid as long as your keyboard is sending keystrokes to Windows or Mac OS, then they can be captured long before any encryption software can encrypt the keystrokes. The encryption software uses exactly the same methods to capture keystrokes as the keyloggers would - the keys you press come into the computer as plain text from the keyboard, and as long as this is the case, there will *always* be a way of capturing what you type.

Even if some software worked as you describe, to fill out the boxes within Mozilla in plain text would mean once again it could be captured by a keylogger.

You are probably thinking of software that actively scans your computer for keyloggers - most anti-virus products do this anyway, but you can get software specifically for this purpose.

I suggest reading a Mac-specific guide to keyloggers and their prevention here.

Hope this helps :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for the info. can i get more research article on this other than the site mentioned above ?
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
You're welcome :)

More information can be found here:

The sort of software keylogger you might be up against is detailed here:

Hardware keyloggers that I refer to, which would work with a Mac can be found here:

Software anti-virus protection which will protect you from most keyloggers can be found here:

And the list of threats it protects you against (with lots of keyloggers listed) can be found here (search this page for the word 'keylogger'):

If you are keen to read a very in-depth guide into how keyloggers work, to allow you to understand and defend yourself from them, Wikipedia has a great article on them:

I hope this provides you with all the information you need :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
one more final question. can you suggest some keylogger prevention / antivirus software that works well for MAC?
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
The iAntiVirus mentioned in my previous post provides good protection against keyloggers - many are listed on their 'threats' page.

Another respected set of products which I have seen a few businesses use is the Intego range - they do Anti-Virus, as well as other internet security products:

Finally, if you want to do it on the cheap (i.e. for free), then there is ClamXAV:

In general, Macs have far fewer viruses than Windows, and are much harder to infect because of the security model they use. A lot of Mac users don't bother with anti-virus, but as Macs gain in popularity, more viruses will appear, and no computer is totally safe from security holes that might be discovered and exploited.

I hope this helps you :)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i am already aware of intego. i like to know more informative Mac site. thanks
Expert:  adski replied 8 years ago.
I will opt out of this question, and re-categorise it to the Mac-specific category so other experts can help you with your question.

You needn't accept any answer unless you are satisfied, and can request to deal with someone else at any time if you don't feel the information is what you are looking for.

I hope someone is able to answer your questions to your satisfaction.