Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I am teaching an online class using WebCT. Another instructor

Customer Question

I am teaching an online class using WebCT. Another instructor is trying to co-teach it with me. He has a MAC G4 & G5. He has been unable to access the Chat Room particularly with his MAC's. We have tried numerous things. I have recommended he use Internet Explorer and download a Java plug. I don't what else can be done.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
He should not use Internet Explorer, it is no longer supported by Microsoft and the current version is several years old. I am currently in a class that uses WebCT and I can open the Chat window in Safari without any issue.

It also works without issue in Firefox 3.0.1

I would recommend that he download Firefox here:

And unlike with Windows, Mac users cannot download Java plug-ins. Apple provides their own builds of Java from Software Update. So I would also advise him to check to make sure his system is up to date by clicking the Apple Menu and then Software Update...

I assure you, WebCT Chat and Macs are compatible.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think he has tried some of this though I am not certain. I sent him the link from Apple that was suggested as their Java for linking the Browser. He says he has tried both Safari and Firefox and neither worked. I will send him your reply to consider as well. The only MAC user I know on campus downloaded the old form of Explorer to her new MAC and that worked for her. She too said MAC doesn't support Explorer since they now have their own.
I would have to say that on our campus of 50,000 students, we have about equal numbers of macs and PCs, and almost all classes use WebCT without issue. He may just need to update his computer with updates from Apple.