Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

lacie disc hard drive has 21,000 photos on it and it says they

lacie disc hard drive has 21,000 photos on it and it says they are there, but they are all blank with a dotted line around them!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 6 years ago.
Can you try to drag a couple to another hard drive and see if you can read them then?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no,
the photo won't move off to the desktop even.
Sounds like your hard drive died.

LaCie is known to have pretty low quality drives.

Can you try copying something onto the drive?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not sure how to do that.
So I'm assuming you are using this external drive for just photos. But try dragging a word file or a music file that is on your main internal drive onto the external and see if it works.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that worked!
And you can read the file off of the external drive?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes.
Alright what I want you to do, is to repair permissions on the external hard drive. This may very well repair your ability to read your photos.

Open Disk Utility, from your Applications folder, open your Utilities folder and double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your external disk's icon.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the first aid tab?
What version of OS X are you using?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry,
not sure
It should be the first tab in the Disk Utility it will be in the middle of the screen.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, i've done that and it says the volume appears to be ok.
Alright restart the computer, and then try to open a photo in the external.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no luck!! what can i try now?
I'm sure you have tried this, but when you right click it, you should have a choice of programs to open with. Try another one and see if it can open it...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i went into applications, and in the left column it has search for, so i clicked on "all images" and the images all opened up. But they are not open in my library! Not sure what is going on?
What program are you referring to when you say library?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i photo library
Good news is, your photos are intact on the external drive. Bad news is it sounds like your iPhoto library may be corrupted. I would advise you to delete the iPhoto Library and reimport the pictures, it will take awhile with 21,000 photos but will fix your problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great, how do i do that?
Go into your user home file, and click on pictures. In this directory you will see a file named iPhoto Library, Move this file anywhere you wish or delete it (i would save it somewhere just in case).

Now open up iPhoto, you should have an empty library.

Click File>Import to Library

Select your external hard drive and click import
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience: B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User