RoeIncarnate, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have used Macs all my life (20+ years) and currently develop OS X applications.

is it true a mac cant get a virus

is it true a mac can't get a virus?
Category: Mac
Expert:  RoeIncarnate replied 8 years ago.
I wish this was true.

A virus, is just a computer program that someone has written to do bad things and usually spread itself.

A Mac can get a virus. However, currently, just about all viruses are written to attack MS Windows computers. So a Mac cannot get these viruses. Eventually, someone will write a virus for the Mac, but since Macs are only about 5% of the world's personal computer, most virus writers are attacking MS Windows.

As an aside. Mac OS X is based on a flavour of UNIX, which is an operating system that has been around for 30+ years and was designed to be secure from the ground up.

In practical terms, currently a Mac is a very safe computer to use.

Hope this helps clarify things for you.

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.