Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I am using a SimpleTech USB 500GB external hard drive on a

Customer Question

I am using a SimpleTech USB 500GB external hard drive on a MacBook Pro 3 which has an Intel processor. The drive works fine and transfers files properly. When I try to transfer DV files to my PowerPC G5 Quad, however, I get data transfer errors and the files will not go over. The drive is formatted as a Mac OS extended partition. When I go back to the MacBook Pro, files transfer and work just fine. Are there any known issues or workarounds to this? I do this type of thing all the time using other USB drives and Flash drives, so this one took me by surprise. Could it just be the SimpleTech drive that's finicky?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
Are both Macs running the same version of OS X?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, both are running 10.4.11.
This is going to sound odd, but it might be worth a try. You could try to format the 500 GB external in the NTFS (Windows NT) format using Paragon NTFS for Mac® OS X:

This may not be the best solution, but this is a very strange problem that I have never experienced myself, nor heard of. It may very well be the "SimpleTech" quality.