Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

Hello-May I request Aggie Mac Master-I Have an administrative

Hello-May I request Aggie Mac Master-I Have an administrative level password XXXXX my computer that I don't remember putting in and it is blocking my attempts to add upgrade software. Is there any way either get around or disable this password XXXXX rebooting from the start-up disc?I have a iMacG3 that has been upgraded to a tiger OS X (10.4.6)I have checked Mac help but to no avail.Thanks
Try this, and let me know if it is successful:

1. Boot into single user mode (press Command-S at power on)
2. Type fsck -fy
3. Type mount -uw /
4. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
5. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password, replacing username with the targeted user and password XXXXX the desired password.
6. Reboot
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks-I don't seem to have a command key.Should I type in the word command and then-s.Does power on refer to the first time that the screen activates in the boot?My screen starts grey with a moving circular icon in the middle. And when I type in fsck -fy should I see it somewhere on the screen and is thw spacing important?
The command key on older macs is designated with the apple logo. so hold apple-s at power on.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks again.I think that I was misleading with my original question. This is not a networked computer.I was able to get it booted into single user mode but one of yhe subcommands was not recognized.I couldn't get past the launchctl load.Thanks
I'm sorry, I was away from my computer for a day, let me see if we can get this solved for you. Would you happen to have a disc from another mac you could boot from?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No-I don't have a disc to boot from.Boy, I wish that I did! I saw an icon representing a Mac 9 start up disc. Would that suffice for start up disc or would I need to find the icon for Mac OS X startup disc?
The procedure I gave above, really should work. Try it again, making sure to put the spaces exactly where I did.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello again-I got the computer back into single user mode. My computer displayed an instruction saying if you want to boot into single user mode-type sh /etc/rc.I did that and got into single user mode and recieved further instructions to type /sbin/fsck -fy followed by /sbin/mount -uw / which I did and got to the next step where I entered the launch load sequence. I tried it with and without the /sbin/ and got the same response both ways.It accepted the command but could not find the file.Sorry and thanks
Alright I think I figured out the problem, that workaround (hack) is specifically for Leopard. Here is the procedure for Tiger, sorry for the confusion.

1. Reboot

2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account.

5. Change the password XXXXX your old account while logged in as your new Admin account, then log back in as yourself and delete your new Admin account."
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thanks I was down for a few days since I fouled up but I finally got it right and I am back in business with a new password XXXXX the admin. account. Thanks very much for your excellent advice.You savrd my bacon!