Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

In Lep 10.5.4 do /etc/rc.local and etc/rc.shtudown still exist

In Lep 10.5.4 do /etc/rc.local and etc/rc.shtudown still exist? If not can you point me to how or where in launchd to look for the replacement? I have a persistant rootkit on my imac and can't figure out how it gets started after a nuke of the drive and NVRAM. My system never has rc.lcoal and rc.shutdown in the /etc directory, but systemstarter has references to the files. Thanks!
I did a little looking into this just to try and help out here.

I found this comment on a forum and thought it might at least get you started:

"I experienced the same problem in Leopard with /etc/rc.local and /etc/rc.shutdown.local being ignored. Studying the Leopard documentation reveals that both /etc/rc* and StartupItems startup/shutdown mechanisms are deprecated." (quote from QUQ on

I don't know enough to help out, but this may at least help you a little.