Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Using a Mac G4 9.2 os. I can send e-mails but when I try to

Customer Question

Using a Mac G4 9.2 os. I can send e-mails but when I try to receive I get and error message -34 disk is full. I've cleaned out my inbox, run disk first aid and optimized and I still have this problem. Help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help here.

While you did some very good troubleshooting and maintenance, you did not mention whether the Hard Drive was actually full. We need to know that.

Do a Get Info on the hard drive icon and and then see if it actually is full.

Click once on the Hard Drive, proably called Macintosh HD. Then go to the File Menu and choose Get Info, or if you have a 3 button mouse, try Right-Click on the icon and then Get Info from the pop-up menu.

In here you will see details on the drive and it will say 'so much in disk, so much free'.

If they are very similar, then there is your problem. Especially if you are using Virtual memory.

Let me know and then we can see what we need to do to free up some space.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't think that's the problem.

Capcity: 57.26 GB

available : 36.84 GB

used: 20.41 GB

Where 60 gig hd

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok. What email client are you using?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Outlook Express
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, what version? 5?

We may need to remove the preferences file and also rebuild the identity.

Let me know and I'll get you the instructions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yup 5.02

I can send e-mail but can't receive. it.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok.

According to MS (The big evil... shhhhh!) there may be one or both of these problems.

We will remove the preferences file and let Outlook rebuild the Identity and also we will rebuild the database that Outlook uses to store the mail. this may actually be the problem.

So, here goes:
To rebuild the identity preferences file:
1. Quit Outlook Express if Outlook Express is currently running.
Locate the preferences file in the currently active identity.
2. Place the preferences file in the Trash on the Macintosh desktop.
3. Start Outlook Express again. The Setup Assistant rebuilds the
account for this identity.
Try to receive mail

If no go, then we will rebuild the database.

Quit Outlook and then reopen ity and hold down the OPTION key until you see a dialog asking to rebuild the database. Say yes and wait for it.
Quit and restart Outlook and try to receive mail.

I hope this helps as these tips are the only solutions I could come up with.

If this works, please click Accept, if not, come back and we'll look further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where do I find the preferences file in the active identity?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Look in your System Folder-Preferences folder:
Hard Drive:System Folder:Preferences:Outlook Express Prefs

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How would I know if it rebuilt the identity. Program just opened as usual. Still getting disk is full error -34.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm compacting the database now but I don't hold out much hope because I tried this yesterday and it didn't work. Fix this problem for me and I'll pay alot more than the $15. I'm lost and use this computer for a home based business.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please help me. I don't know what to do.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I'm still here. Just had to go outside and prep for the tropical storm stuff headed my way.

There may be another location. Do a search on your Mac for Identity. The one we want will be a folder with your Identity in it. There may be a Preference file in there.

the instructions for rebuilding came right from MS web site, so I am flying blind right now.

Look for the Identity and if there is a pref file in that folder or in any folder in side that folder, drag to the desktop and try agsin.

Sorry this is so drawn out, but it is hard not being in front of the Mac.

Mikey
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Cousin just stopped by with something for my son. He'll probably be here around 1 hour. Will be back to you then.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Take your time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Took longer than I thought. No sure I've found the right thing. In microsoft user data, under identities, then Main identity, there is a preferences folder along with 32 other folders. Old database 1 - 6; Old database cache l - 7; old messages 1- 7; 1 preferences folder; 1 rules; 1 schedules and 1 signatures. When I click on preferences it opens my e-mail. Should I trash the preferences?

I have to pick up my son at the movies. Be back shortly

Just heard we could get 60 mile winds here in NJ.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Yes. Trash the Preferences folder. If it opened up your email, it may be corrupted. A folder can never open an application.

We will also rebuild the desktop as well:
reboot the Mac and hold down option key as the machine boots up, especially before the Finder loads. You will see a message rebuilding desktop. Wait for itand then try your email.

If this fixes the problem, please click Accept. If not, reply back.

I am in eastern PA so I kow what you mean about weather.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now I've got the Outlook Express Setup Assistant. What do I do now? Will I loose the e-mails that I already have?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No. From what I can tell you complete the assistant and it will put you right back in your mailbox. Since we did not delete anything but the preference for that identity, it will still have that identity when you finish.

I think it even should have some of your settings already since it will see the other Identity folders already present.

Finish it up and let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Now I have Mail Server Setiup error. Your mail account is not set up correctly in your preferences. Make sure you have a valid account ID and server host

None of the older e-mails are there

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Did you fill in all of the blanks for your mail server and other settings?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You are dealing with a computer dummy here. Where do I do this and how do I get this information. I had some setup up this computer 4 years ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No problem.

You go to Tools menu and choose Options. Click on Accounts

In here there shold be settings for your service provider. If not we will replace them.

Tell me your Email service provider and I will look up there email settings for you.

IE; who do you use for email?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I use optonline.net. Please tell me I haven't lost everything. I'm about to have a heart attack
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
We'll get it back. Let's get the account up first. We need to make sure we fixed the problem. As of now, your emails are safe.

I will get back to you with the details as soon as I get them.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I really do appreciate this. I know time is money. You will be compensated.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Don't worry about that now.

Go to Tools menu and choose Options
Inhere you will see a single listing for your new account
should look like this:
graphic
Then click on the account and open it (double-click)
It should look like this:
graphic
If not, enter the information from the picture above into your account window. Then Click OK.

Get back to me if it works. We amy need tobackup some emails if they come in, so either print them off or we will export them and re-import into the old account.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Things are looking up. I can send and receive e-mails. Now I just need to find the old ones! THANK YOU...THANK YOU. hOW DO WE DO THAT?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK. Great!

Now, in your Documents is the Microsoft User Data folder and inside there is the Identities folder. In there, are there 2 Identites now or only one?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There are no folders here just 23 items. Old database cache 1 - 7 (items) old messages 1-7, mailing lists, messages, preferences

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You do not have a Main Identity? that should still be there. The preferences that you removed earlier were in that folder.

I need to make sure we have a new Identity. It should be in the same Identities folder.

Back up one folder and see if it is there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There are no folders here just 23 items. Old database cache 1 - 7 (items) old messages 1-7, mailing lists, messages, preferences. If I go go file, import, import from an application, Outlook Express any version; then just start small....addresses only checked; then select your OE users folder (installer Temp 7) in there I select Joyce...It says OE did not finish importing datea from your current program.

There is a new preferences icon.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK. We need to find out where it put the Identity.

Do a search for Identities or Identity and see if it finds any others on your hard drive.

You can also try to go to File menu in Outlook and choose Change Identity. Make a new one, name it, and then dismiss the setup assistant. Now go and search again for Identities or Identity and see if there is a new one. Name the new Identity something you can find and recognoze, like your first name.

When and if you find it, let's try to move the new pref file so we can get to your old mail.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just got the setup assistant again and now I can't get or receive e-mails
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just want to cry
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
What were you doing when the setup came up?

Did you search for the Identity or Identities folders?

If you are creating a new identity and the setup came up, just cancel it and then quit. Search for the folders and let me know.

Again, your emails are still there in a database. So we are just ahving issues getting them back up.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The only place I've found Identities is in the documets, microsoft user data, Identities, Main Identity. Everything in there has old dates except Database, database cache, mailing lists, messages, preferences and schedules...they all have today's date/time.

The other stuff is old messasges and old data base and there are several of them.

Is it possible that this computer is set up for just one user...me? No one else uses this computer.

You must think I am an abolute idiot. I really am not. It's just that I only know my way around a computer when everything works!!! Change one thing and I'm lost.

I do appreciate your patience with me. Would I be better off switching to a different e-mail program? I'm open to anything as long as I can get my old stuff.

Joyce

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
That's the folder... Identities. Is there another folder in there called Main Identity-1 or something like that? or is Main Identity the only folder in the Indentities folder?

Going with a newer email client would work as we can import your email into that program.

Just wanted to get you back stable and then that is what i was going to recommend. Like Entourage if you use MS Office or Eudora.

Let's get the mail up again first.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is just one Main Identity folder in the Identities folder. The other thing in Identities is a Newsgroup cache icon. Now what?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Mike,

My son just came downstairs for lunch and homework. He has cerebral palsy so this is going to take up some of my time. I'll keep checking but it may be a while between checks. Thanks for your patience. Is it raining there yet. Nothing here. Just hot and humid.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK.

It is pouring over here.

I'll wait to hear from you. I have a few things to knock out so I will keep tabs this thread.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm back. Now what should I do?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Let's get the mail up again first. Then we can talk

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
System is acting wierd for me now...

Can you do a Get Info from the File menu on the Database document that is in the Main Identity folder and tell me what it says for Size and Modified date?

Let me know

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay. It's size 272 K and created 9/6/2088 9:21 AM and Modified 9/6/08 12:56 PM
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just did the get info on old messages and the file is 1.99 GB. Is that alot?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No, that cannot be the right one.

Do you have any backups of your Mac at all?

This is now not looking good at all. The database is supposed to be much larger.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Do a get info on messages then and let's see that one.

The info I got on this type of failure has been very negative. Almost all of the people who had this type of error had the same file size... 1.99GB And that is OVER the limit of OE. The answer most got was the file would be too corrupted to recover from using Outlook itself.

Do you still have the Preferences file That we removed in the very beginning? It should still be on your Desktop.

We can put that back, make sure we have your email and export it. Then we will just trash the whole Identity Folder and let OE start from scratch and then import the email back in. You should also try to copy out the contacts etc...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The get info on messages is size: 2.9 MB created 9/6 9:21 AM

Modified 9/612:56

I would have everything. Just not sure if it is on the desktop or in the trash.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK. One more thing.

Did you rebuild the database when you opened Outlook the first time AFTER we removed the preferences? I think we missed that step.

Open Outlook one more time and this time hold down Option key until you see a dialog asking to rebuild the database. Say yes and let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay. I'll try this
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay. I did this. Now what?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did I loose my contacts
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
What came of the rebuild? DId anything come back in emails?

I want to remove the Messages document and rename the Old Messages to Messages

Then open Outlook again and rebuild again.

No, contacts should be intact as well.

Let me know what happened with the rebuild.

Then take the Messages document out to the desktop and rename the Old Messages by renaming it to Messages.

Make sure to quit OE first.
Then open OE again after renaming the file and hold Option key down again.

This should bring your old email back.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
E-mails did not come back before. I'm going to try what you just suggested now.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm having a breakdown right now. Got an error message that Send & Receive all could not be successfully executed. The account could not be found. Edit schedule and reselect the account.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Don't worry about the schedule. Is the mail there? Did you do a rebuild after renaming the file?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I held down the option key when opening outlook. Old e-mail is not there. Neither is my address book. Now what

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Everything is all messed up. Now when I open the e-mails that came in earler today...the messages inside does not correspond with the subject header. Some of them are just garbled. Others are just totally different e-mails from other clients.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP ON ME.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK.Move the Microsoft User Data folder from the Documents folder to the Desktop and then open OE again and do the assistant. Fill it in as before and let it finish setting up.

When it is finished, I want you to send me an email with your Database and Messages files attached. May have to do 2 emails. Make sure the messages is the oneyou said was old messages and was 1.99 GB.

It will take a while, but if you get them to me, I will work on them here and should be able to get your mail back.

Other option is if you live near Philly at all,maybe a visit is in order. thistype of support is not going to work any longer. I am out of options here due to the age of the mail client and operating system.

if you are willing to do either option above, then get back to me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm willing. Is there a number I can reach you at.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Email me at macmikey2ATgmail.com

Replace AT with @

I will give my phone number via email. Can't post it here.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
TY

You are welcome