Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Hello. I have a Mac Performa 575. It has been running great.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Mac Performa 575. It has been running great. Today I tried to print something on my HP Deskwriter Printer and it won't print. It says that it is spooling to the printer; but nothing happens. What would you do first to trouble shoot. I already completed the Scan.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
A performa, Cool.

I think maybe you need to zap your PRAM. Have you had any messages about your time being off when you start it up from being off?

Have you replaced the PRAM battery recently?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Mike. I don't know what zap my PRAM means. No I haven't ever replaced the PRAM battery. Not that I would know where the battery would go. The printer was just working until yesterday. Thanks,
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
That's OK. Most users don't.

The PRAM, or Parameter Ram, is an area of dedicated ram for keeping information current even after you power the Mac off or unplug it.

To reset the PRAM, just power down the Performa.

Find and hold down all of the following keys at the same time
Command
Option
'P' key
'R' key

Turn power on while holding down these keys. If you can get at least three keys down you can usually get your other hand to turn on the Mac and then quickly hold down the last key.

The Mac will reboot and reboot and reboot until you release the keys. Wait for at least three chimes and then let go of the keys and let the Mac boot up

If this allows the printer to work, then you will need to head out to a Radio Shack or an Apple service provider and, with Radio Shack grab a 3.6v/1/2AA Clock Battery. In the case of a service provider, get them to replace the Clock/PRAM battery.

If this does not work, it is possible age has taken over the printer. Let's hope not.

Let me know how it works out.

If it fixes the issue today and works for awhile, please click Accept.

If not please come back and I will assist further.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no command key. Which key is the command key?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Actually I got the printer to work by pressing the Select button. Thanks anyways for trying.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
That's great. I did not even think to ask to look at the printer.

Ooops.

Anyway to answer the command key question, it is the cloverleaf next to the space bar

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since I fixed the situation myself, do I still have to pay?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Nope. Completely up to you as to how you feel you were ot were not helped.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe I figured it out myself. Thanks anyway.