Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

i forgot the password XXXXX couldnt figure it out so i tried

Customer Question

i forgot the password XXXXX couldn't figure it out so i tried following the instructions to change my administrator password XXXXX i think i installed mac os again and now when i turn it on, i get a white screen that has a colorful wheel spinning in the top left corner, what do i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
Try entering safe mode:

1. Be sure the computer is shut down.

2. Press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

During the startup in Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

During the startup in Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically.

To leave Safe Mode in any version of Mac OS X, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It still doesn't work
Ok try this,

- Reboot

- Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

-When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one.

Let me know if this method works for you. If not, I will try something else...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
okay, so i did press apple s and tried the commands, but i keep getting a local host number
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
when i put in mount -uw / , i get a local host number, i don't know that
I am at a loss, this should be working. I would only be able to suggest that you reformat and reinstall the operating system. So, I am going to opt out as some other expert may have more expertise on this issue than I. I wish you all the best.