Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

i currently have a macbook pro and one email address. can

Customer Question

i currently have a macbook pro and one email address.   can i set up a separate email on the mac for my son w/ parental controls?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

Are you trying to give your son access to the one email or does he have one for himself?

Creating a new user and then setting up Mail or your email client choice is the best method. However, with parental controls set, I am not usre how much leeway you have for him to actually have access.

Not sure why you can't setup the email in the new account, unless you created the account in the email client.

What email service do you use? Are you trying to have an new email for him and it fails when you create it?

Let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not want him to have access to the one email (which is mine, the parents).   I want him to have his own email to start to use for school, etc.    When I create a new user it seems to search for the email name he wants rather than creating it and says it cannot find or something along those lines.    
I am doing tis thru the "accounts" section.
The email for this laptop is .mac.    I know that you can set up difft. "aliases" emails for the same user, but i want him to have his own, not my user.    Maybe I have to give him a hotmail or yahoo address?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Nahhh... He can get an alias. But, in the account creation, ignore that section where it says to put in the email. You don't need it , at least not at this point.

The alias needs to be set up online. I'll get the instructions for that in the next post, but rest assured, you can setup that new user, restrict or allow him as you please with the controls and then you can go to System Preferences and add the email alias you get into MobileMe (formerly .mac).

So go ahead and finish that account setup and I will get those instructions and reply back with them.

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
I have found that the alias will only funnel the email into your account. It is a privacy thing.

You have only 2 choices here... a sub account under your main account.

create a GMAIL account and use that instead.

So, there you go.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you -- will probably go w/ gmail account
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Good luck. I use Gmail and it works quite well.