Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I have an original imac g3. And like other fellow mac users

I have an original imac g3. And like other fellow mac users we all know a guru or 2. well like an idiot i screwed up the system on the imac and it was running so great! I don't have the heart to ask him to help me install again. What is the step by step procedure to get 10.3 back on the machine without putting unessasary languages and files on the hard drive?
You will need to insert the 10.3 install disc into the computer and hold down the "C" key when rebooting. This will start the installation procedure.

When you get to a screen that gives you the option to customize the installation, click customize, and deselect the options you do not wish to install. Then continue with the installation.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So there is no need to bother with OSX and below?
And how do i whipe the hard drive the right way?
No, it would just add junk that is unnecessary. The correct way to wipe the hard drive is to boot to the 10.3 install disc.

Insert the disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound. You can release the key when the gray Apple appears.

It is normal for the computer to take longer to startup from a CD or DVD. If you are prompted to select a language and you do not see the menu bar at the top of the screen, click the right arrow button to proceed to the next screen.

Mac OS X 10.2.x through 10.3.x:
Select Open Disk Utility from the Installer menu

A window like you see below will open, select Macintosh HD and click the Erase tab.

Click the ‘Security Options’ button. A Security Options sheet will display the following secure erase options:

• Don’t Erase Data. This method is quick, but not very secure. It removes the volume's catalog directory, but leaves the actual data intact.

• Zero Out Data. This method provides a good level of security. It erases the volume's data by writing over it with zeros. The length of time this method takes depends on the size of the volume.

• 7-Pass Erase. This method meets the security requirements of the U.S. Department of Defense's 5220-22M standards for erasing magnetic media. This erase method can take a very long time.

• 35-Pass Erase. This is the highest level of data erase security that Disk Utility supports. It writes over the data on a volume 35 times. Don't expect this erase method to finish any time soon.

Make your selection and click the ‘OK’ button. The Security Options sheet will disappear.

Click the ‘Erase’ button. Disk Utility will wipe your hard drive, this may take awhile.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What is the best wat to whipe the hard drive clean before re- install?
I would say just the Zero Out Data, it will take long enough and it will get rid of everything. 7 pass will take 7 times as long and the 35 pass will take 35 times as long. Zero out will be fine.