Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I was given an older ibook. The problem is it boots up and

I was given an older ibook. The problem is it boots up and asks for a user and password. I have no idea. I have tried the common things (admin,nothing , ect.) But to no luck. What can I do. Can i get software and reinstall it and start from scrach. That would be fine. Just don't know were to go from here.. Is there a backdoor or a defalt ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help here.

Yes, you can buy a retail copy of OS X and install after erasing the hard drive. This will give you a clean setup to work from.

The problem may be finding a copy of OS X that will run on an iBook.

There is a way to change the login password XXXXX the account if you have access to an installer disk or a Mac Os X retaio install disk.

Tell me what iBook it is, describe it if you have to, and I will find the latest version of OS to use to either reset the password, or install a new OS.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a new macbook with all the saotware. is there any to use it or do I need to try to find a copy of tiger.AS for what i have it is just a small white ibook.. Most common used in schools ect.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok. According to Apple, the iBook G3 will run Mac Os X 10.4, also called Tiger.

You can pick up a copy of that and install it.

The software that came with the MacBook will not work as it is tagged to the MacBook. You will need either iBook installer/restore disks or a retail copy of 10.3 or 10.4

Run the installer, and choose a language. then go to the Utilities Menu and choose Reset Password. Choose the account to change the password XXXXX NOT ROOT, and set the password. Then quit and restart the iBook.

To Install new, follow the installer to the point where it asks which drive to install on. Choose your hard drive and then choose clean install. This will erase the drive and install a clean OS. Do not try to upgrade the drive, you will still have the password XXXXX

If this helps, please click Accept. If not get back to me.

Thanks,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting