Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have Powerbook G3. Ive been having trouble booting it on

I have Powerbook G3. I've been having trouble booting it on and off. Today it froze & wouldn't reboot. I tried starting it with the system CD (8.6) and yes, it does boot up, but the hard disk icon doesn't show - only the CD icon. You can hear the hard disk clicking away as it tries to engage but nothing happens. Obviously the first thing I want to do is get my hard disk icon back up. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help here.

Ahhh... PowerBook G3, love 'em.

Haqrd drive clicking is a bad thing. Is this the original hard drive or has it been upgraded, like recently?

What System Software is installed?

Let me know and I will continue to help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Original hard drive, no upgrade. System is OS 8.6
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Yahhh... this is not good.

I am sorry to say, you may never see this drive mounted again. First and foremost, stop doing anything else to the drive until you are ready to actually attempt recovery. We would not want to damage it further.

The clicking you hear is the hard drive head(s) seeking the platter for data.

2 things cause this:
head crash damaged the platter
Directory damage on drive prevents head(s) from finding the data.

I truly hope you have a backup of your data. I have had experience with Macs for over 20 years and these drives that click are almost never recovered. And, with the age of the drive (3 - 5 years max and it should be replaced) it makes it even more positive that the drive is head crash damaged.

There are 2 things to do here, try to recover the data by booting from a Norton Utilities or Disk Warrior disk (if you can find one these days that will boot the older Mac) or by using FireWire Target Disk mode, if your Mac has a FireWire port, and connecting to another more modern Mac and run utilities from there.

Or, you can send the drive to a company like DriveSavers and have them attempt a recovery.

I am sorry about this but i am afraid i cannot help here. this is truly a hardware problem and may be fatal.

Let me know if anything is needed.

Click Accept if this answer is satisfactory.