Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Cant connect to the internet wireless. I can connect directly.

Customer Question

Can't connect to the internet wireless. I can connect directly. I'm using a comcast modem and a D-Link. I was able to connect before moving to a new city. I've tried resetting everything. Other wireless networks appear--but not mine. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Is your wireless hidden and /or encrypted? Is the wireless access point running? Can you access it from the web browser to check its settings.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think it is hidden. I have assigned a password. It worked before I moved. I can only access it if I plug it in directly from the comcast modem
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like the router has a different IP address, however, it should still show up in the list.

Have you reset the router and then tried to access it from the web browser?

What router is it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Modem is arris model TM602g/ct
Wireless Router is D-Link model DIR-655

I did reset the router and clicked on the internet symbol at the top of my mac computer, my address still did not appear

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Can you access the router from your browser? You should be able to go to 192.168.0.1 or whatever the default is for the D-Link. That should be it.

If it shows up in the browser window and seems to be running, then look over the Wireless settings and make sure they are not wrong or corrupted.

Also, do you use Cable or DSL or FIOS? Maybe the real reason is the change of service provider and now you need to have different authentication in the router to talk to the provider. But i think the router has Wireless off or you would still see it, just not be able to get access to the outside.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My prefs show an IP address: 24.10.128.98
Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0
Router: 24.10.128.1

When I click on the internet symbol dlink appears in the menu below airport on.

Do you want me to unplug my direct connection and try the wireless? If I do, how will I contact you. My phone number is XXXXX

Rodney
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK. You are talking about the Airport icon. I wasn't sure what you meant.

A reset D-Link will default to 192.168.0.1. Your prefs are not set right to see the router if you choose it from the menu.

Let's do this. What OS version are you using? We want to create a new Location and set Airport there, so we can keep your current settings.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version 10.5.2
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Great. Here we go...

Go to System Prefs and then click on Network.

Click on the Airport and then at the top pull the menu down and choose Edit Locations. Inside click the Plus sign + and create a new location and name it. Close this box
Make sure your new location is chosen in the pull down menu and then click on Airport again and then click on Advanced on the right side.
In here, click on TCP/IP tab and make sure it is set to use DHCP. Close all the windows and save the settings by clicking on Apply at the bottom. Go back into Advanced window and click on TCP/IP. There should now be a IP Address. It should be in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. if it says 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, then we still have an issue. If it is a 192. number close everything again.

Now go to your browser and see if it accesses the Internet.

Let me know if it works. If so, please click on Accept.