Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have just migrated my files from an iBook G4 to a Macbook.

I have just migrated my files from an iBook G4 to a Macbook. When I try to access my music or documents it says I have insufficient privileges and so I can't access them. What have I done wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
You need to repair permissions. Probably the files did not take your permissions, so now you have to make them yours.

Do this, get you Mac Os X disk out and restart holding C key down and boot from the CD/DVD. If you do ot have an installer disk, then run Disk Utility from the Applications folder/Utilities folder.

When the installer runs, after it asks you for a language, go to the Utilities Menu and choose Disk Utility. In Disk Utility click once on your hard drive in list on left and then click on Repair Permissions.
When it finishes, quit and restart.

This should work to get your stuff working again.

If it does, please click Accept. If not, we can do each folder with a Get Info and change permissions there.