Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Hello again-Can you tell me if a Macs available memory affects

Hello again-Can you tell me if a Mac's available memory affects it's processing speed?
God Morning/Afternoon.

Yes, memory can have a huge affect on the system. Small amounts of ram cause the system to use the Hard Drive as a memory source and that is far slower than real memory.

Mac Os X requires anywhere from 512mb ram to 1 GB ram. I personally recommend 2 GBs ram for anyone doing most work. 1 GB ram will work for lighter use like email/web browsing.

Macs also use ram pairing to help the system run faster. Ram pairing means 2 ram sticks are identical they are treated by the OS as a big stick and therefore can communicate with the memory a little faster. This is mostly in Desktops, although I think the MacBook Pros can do it as well (I have to verify that).

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please click Accept.