Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have Mac OS 10.4.11. Firefox 3.0.1.

Customer Question

When I check my email (att.net),   email appears but I can't forward or reply. I also cannot us google search. Nothing happens.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you here.
What version of OS X?

Do you use any AdBlock or NoScript with Firefox?

Is Firefox the only way you access email (web mail)?

Let me know. This is weird.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No adblock or noscript as far as I know.

I have safari and use my email with no problems.

It is wierd. Thanks for your help!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have Safari and use my email with no problems.

It IS wierd. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I just spent 10 minutes typing up my response, but the system did not post it, so here I go again...

It sounds like permissions. Go to the Finder and do a Get Info on the FireFox 'Mozilla' folder. There is a section called Sharing & Permissions. Look for the settings and see if the Owner (you) is set to anything other than read/write. If so, click the lock at the bottom of the window and change it to Read/Write. Close the window.

Do this with Firefox closed. Open it again after changing and see if it works now.

Also, try a different user. Create a new user in System Prefs/Accounts. Log in and try Firefox. Does it work? If so, the problem is in the Mozilla folder in the User/Library/ for your original user. Remove the folder and re-launch Firefox and try again.

Let me know how this works out.

If it does, please click Accept.

Otherwise, we may need to strip out all Mozilla/Firefox stuff aqnd reinstall the app.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think you've earned your $9 but I'm not yet happy. A new user account
allows my mail to work fine on firefox. BUT I CAN'T FACE USING A NEW ACCOUNT AND LOSING ALL MY BOOKMARKS, DESKTOP ETC ETC. I put all Mozilla folders in the trash....went back to my old user account and it still doesn't work. What's going on? How do I reinstall Firefox without losing my bookmarks?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
When you say you deleted all the Mozilla files/folders, did you do that in the new user or the old user?

You can safely delete the Mozilla folders in ~/Library/ and <yourharddrive>/Library/

Next, go to the Application Support folder in ~/Library/ folder and find Firefox.
Inside here you will find lots of goodies. We are looking for the Profiles folder. Drag the Profile folder to the desktop. Now delete the rest of the Firefox folder from Application Support.

Restart Firefox. It should open to default settings. Try ATT. If it works, we found the issue, your profile.

We can now move the bookmarks back into the newly created Firefox folder in Application support. Here's how.

The folder on your desktop has the old files we need. Make sure Firefox is not running. Open the folder on the desktop and then look for Bookmarks. Grab all of the files with Bookmarks in the name and drag them to the new Firefox folder. Make sure you open the folder to the same place as the old folder and drop the files in there (into Profiles). Say yes to any replace dialogs about same name, etc...

Restart Firefox and see if ATT still works and your bookmarks are safe.

Now you can move on and setup Firefox again for other sites you use as most settings, etc... were in the old profile folder.

I hope this gets us closer to solving this for good.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much Mike....you are brilliant!
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Thanks I appreciate that.

Good luck.

TY