Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I have all Macs, mostly use a Dual Processor G4 and an iBook

Customer Question

I have all Macs, mostly use a Dual Processor G4 and an iBook G4. My problem is with an older Mac that used for backup. It'a a Quadra 610, upgraded to Power PC,with a Sonnet upgrade card. Here's the problem: I started the Quadra a few days ago, it froze on startup, and the date/time was erratic and couldn't be retained. Several restarts often resulted in "No Signal" shown on the monitor. Disk First Aid and other diagnostics showed no problems. Then, on the last restart,something strange and unfamiliar occurred: I heard the startup chord, followed in about a second with THREE SEPARATE TONES, A BASS DRUM BEAT, AND A CYMBAL CRASH! Mac wouldn't continue startup. I pulled the clock battery and tested it; it was dead. I got a new Li 3.6V and tried it, but no help.I then removed each of the 2 RAM cards one at a time, but no help. (Note: All peripherals are disconnected). I also tried disconnecting the hard, but no help. The fan & disk drive work OK. Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
You have tried just about everything diagnostically, the only other thing it could be is a bad logic board.

It was quite hard to find replacement logic boards for this machine but I found a couple, one stateside and one in the UK. The one stateside is a bit cheaper.

You can get a replacement logic board from ETI Express for $45 here:

I found you a replacement logic board for £125.00 or £70 if you exchange the bad one out. Here is that part:

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Aggie -- I think you've nailed it! Befire you replied, I disconnected EVERYTHING (hard drive, disk drive, all peripherals except the monitor)and removed the Sonnett PPC 100 Presto upgrade card. The startup chime was OK, but was followed by dour different pitched chimes and then by four more different pitched chimes. With nothing else to blame it HAS to be the logic board!   Thanks again. Jerry at [email protected]