Flagbridge-MAC
Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant
Experience:  Paid for 10 years of University with Network Engineering with extensive MAC usage (back to system 7)
2368596

I have a seven year old Mac G3 laptop. Hard drive went out

I have a seven year old Mac G3 laptop. Hard drive went out a couple of years ago, and was replaced. Problem now (it is my workplace warhorse) is that the display is beginning to break up intermittantly, screen flickers and returns to primary colors, creating a kind of Andy Warhol seriograph effect. Interesting, but hard to read. Is it ready to join my other Macs of yesteryear at the big MacWorld in the sky?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

depending on what model of G3 it is you may be able to use an external monitor to continue using the machine, Or if you can let us know the processor and screensize we may be able to find a fix for you that does not cost more than a replacement is worth.

So let us know the screen size and or processor size.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Machine is at office. I will look at the machine profile Monday and let you know processer, speed, etc.
Ken Kitch
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Just let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Machine is
iBook
Model Powerbook 4,1
CPU PowerPC 750 (33.11)
600MHz
L2 256kb
Mem 640mb
Bus spd 100MHz
Boot ROM version 4.2.7fl
OS X.4.11
Screen is 12". It has a side port for an external monitor. Presumeably I have a cable somewhere to fit it.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

I am having a devil of a time finding your Powerbook, Do you know if it is a G3 or G4 processor?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In my original email I told you it was a G3. I sent you the system profile. this is not an old laptop dug up in the Qumran caves. It is a G3. Not a G4. I also have a G4. I know the difference. I also have a Macbook and a Mac book Air. kk
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I m going to opt out and see if another Mac expert can help you with this as I cannot find any specifcations for a 600MHZ iBook or Powerbook. Thanks
Expert:  Flagbridge-MAC replied 6 years ago.
I have to agree with the other expert that this appears to be a processing issue on the local LCD screen and not an issue with the graphics card/processor. An external monitor will work, but beware. In the old clamshell G3' iBook you could not have an external monitor and the lid closed at the same time. Though some firmwares support an external keyboard and a monitor at the same time with the lid closed, they are known to be flaky. THIS is the adapter you would need. Any USB keyboard will do as well.
Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant
Experience: Paid for 10 years of University with Network Engineering with extensive MAC usage (back to system 7)