Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I am just starting out as a DJ and am looking to buy a Mac

I am just starting out as a DJ and am looking to buy a Mac laptop to use strictly for my music needs. I probably wouldn't even really need to connect it to the internet as I have a Dell laptop which I purchased through my university that I use for school work, etc. I don't know much about Macs but know they are the only way to go for multimedia.

These are the min specs for the hardware I will be running:

* 1 GHz G4
    * 1 GB RAM
    * OSX 10.3.9 or higher
    * Intel Macs require Scratch LIVE version 1.5 or higher

Again I know very little about computer specs and even less about Macs, so let me know what you think is best for my needs. If you have any links to sites selling a computer like this for a good price that would be even better. Again I am just starting out. These are the min specs so I could always upgrade but I don't want to spend more than $1000 and ideally under $500. Please let me know what you think and thanks!

If you are looking to use this mahchine as a dj then I would assume you are wanting to get a Notebook so you can travel with it.

If so Apple themselves offer a lot of Refurbished units which come with full warranty etc.

You can get a Macbook with 13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1GB memory
80GB hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera

For $799.00 from here

There are a lot of other options listed on the site also.

Let us know if you have more questions or need more info.

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks a lot. I was thinking about going cheaper at first but I guess this is an investment and I will only want more later on. It's probably best for me to go through Apple so I get full support/warrantee, etc. I appreciate it!

Three places to look for a used Mac:

I would highly suggest you max out the RAM in which ever computer you buy. That will be the biggest factor in slow downs for multi-media.

If you buy an Intel Mac, it will be more future proof (ie: it will support OS and software updates longer).

I would suggest one of the computers on this list to stay in your budget but get a good computer:
Then goto and buy a pair of 1 GB memory sticks for it. Then find someone that can install them for you.

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select [color=green]* ACCEPT *[/color] so I can be rewarded for my efforts.