Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

I had a mac through work and they are taking it away today.

Customer Question

I had a mac through work and they are taking it away today. So! Yesterday I decided I couldn't live without a mac, and purchased a new one. I transfered all of the files and EVERYTHING over to my new machine. This basically made my new mac identical to the old one. I am concerned that (because all my applications are paid for by my current job, my sign on is still linked thru my employer, etc., if they take away my access I will be unable to sign in. What can I do to change the admin. access and keep all the applications. Is this possible?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 6 years ago.
What applications are you talking about?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have all design software (InDesign,photoshop) the parallel's desktop program. All applications have been duplicated onto my new Mac

If they work now, there is nothing that can be done to remove access to them. Once they are authorized on the computer, they will stay operational until you choose to uninstall them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, but the entire computer was copied and I think I am connected to a server. My sign on is thru my employer and links back to the server. How can I change that? When I try to do it now, It tells me the administrator needs to change the sign on and login information.
Could you give me a little more insight on how you copied "everything"?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took one of those "fire wires" I think is what they are called and copied everything to the new one
We can make a new administratior account on the mac if that is what you are looking to do. You can then transfer the files from the old account to the newly created one.

Let me know if this is what you want to try.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like to try this. Can you help me?
Follow this procedure:

- Reboot

- Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

-When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not in front of my new Mac yet, but I will try when I get home. If it works I will hit accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This isn't working for me. Can you help?

I don't know what the "hold apple" command means and I don't hear a chime when I restart...
On your keyboard there is an Apple key, but on the newer keyboards it is called command, next to the option key.

So on restart hold down Command and S