Kovac
Kovac, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  3 years of experience in Mac Support, proficient at solving hardware/software problems
11291035

I use a mac book G4 -- OSX version 10 4 11 When I send

Customer Question

I use a mac book G4 -- OSX version 10 4 11   When I send attachments in Word, (either as docx or '97 -2004' compatible (Word 2008 for Mac version 12 1 1), by Mail, several recipients (using microsoft etc ) cannot open them.   For some who manage to open them the text comes out in yellow. I suspect they need to download something to help open my mac generated documents?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kovac replied 8 years ago.
If you don't need them to edit the documents,
the best solution would be to send them PDF files.
In order to convert your Word documents to PDF, you have to click on File->Print, then in the print dialog press PDF->Save as PDF .

Also, try OpenOffice.org (a very complete open source and free of charge MS Office equivalent), their native Mac OS X port is nearly completed.
OpenOffice exists for nearly all OSes, including Windows of course, and there you are sure that documents created in one OS will work in other OSes. It is even compatible with MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel) documents, for both opening and saving.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The problem is that I need them to work on these documents so PDF is not the answer.
Why do they have trouble with opening my mac generated word documents? Are the files compressed or something ? Is there a download they can get ?