Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

I have upgraded my computer to an Intel iMac running ...

Customer Question

I have upgraded my computer to an Intel iMac running Leopard OS 10.5.4. I firewired my Adobe Illustrator CS2 program to new computer (this was an upgrade from AI 8 (old OS9).

The new AI CS2 is on the new computer yet when I open the program it runs through its initial stages and then shuts down immediately.

I have contacted Adobe. They tell me I need to buy new version (AI CS3) so I don''t need this as an answer thank you.

I believe I have reset all of my AI Preferences for the MAC as well. Maybe someone has a solution?

Thx.
Customer
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 6 years ago.
Do you currently have the CS2 install CDs?

CS2 will work under rosetta on the new Intel iMacs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the CS2 install disks but it is an upgrade version to CS2 (from AI 9 and AI 8 before it). AI 8 was compatible with OS9 at that time. I cannot load the AI 8 version on the new computer as the new MAC Intel Box won't read OS9 "tainted" software so I can not get the Upgrade Chain active again by installing the three versions on the new MAC.

The AI CS2 is on my new machine (Intel) from a Firewire migration to the new system from the old. It just will not stay on. Perhaps the software is looking for some kind of an OS 9 file??

I was of the opinion that Rosetta came packaged in the Leopard OS (Intel Version?)

BLB
Yes, Rosetta is part of the operating system. I brought that up just to say that the Adobe people are way off by saying to purchase CS3 which is Universal (PPC & Intel).

When you transferred the program from your old computer to the new iMac, did you just transfer the Application from the Applications folder?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Aggie:

When I transferred the CS2 from my old MAC to the new Intel MAC, I firewired it over. However, when I went to start the program on the Intel iMAC, it would go through its opening screens routine and then shut-off, when it shopuld have been fully loaded.

I did note a Plug-In (Kimba) apparently was missing. I am now copying al Plug-Ins to "paste" into the Intel AI CS2 folder hoping this may shed some light. Not sure though.

Hope this helps you.

BLB
Also if you could try copying over these Directories:

Macintosh HD>Library>Application Support>Adobe

Macintosh HD>Users>[your user name]>Library>Application Support>Adobe

Let me know if this corrects the problems.
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience: B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Aggie (Whoop Whoop!)

Stand by. I'll copy them over and see what happens.

Thx.

BLB
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Aggie:

My Library>App>Support Folder is 1.53GB. THis will take a bit to transfer over.

Do I need to rename my Intel Folders when I paste the copied files over to their respective counterpart folders?

I need to go out for about an hour on a call.

I'll be back to you as soon as I return. Hopefully this transfer of folders works.

Stand by (a bit longer!)

BTW, I graduated from a military college (Norwich University '71) and retired from the military. My closest pals over the years in uniform were the Aggies. Great school!

BLB
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Aggie:

While waiting for my files to transfer to a removable disk, I reloaded my CS2 disk. The program fully loaded and is operable now. Perhaps there was a file that did not transfer over with the Firewire migration from old MAC to new MAC.

Thanks for your help. Stay in touch!

Ben