Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

Hi - I am importing video from my camera and get an error ...

Customer Question

Hi - I am importing video from my camera and get an error message saying I don''t have permissions to write to /username/file/etc...   any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
Repairing the BOOT hard drive or volume REQUIRES us to boot from another disk, hard drive, hard disk or removable disk:

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install CD or DVD.

2. Restart Mac, immediately after the bong, hold down the C key until the Apple logo appears.

3. When the Installer reaches the INTRODUCTION phase, click on Utilities at the top of the screen, and drop down to Disk Utility.

4. Click the First Aid tab.

5. Highlight the boot hard drive volume or partition.

6. Click Repair Disk.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the scan comes up all clean and good (and run it one more time).

8. Quit Disk Utility and the OS Installer and reboot.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: What? This is to work on importing video? I just did all that anyway, before doing a full back up of my hard drive, for other reasons, just 2 days ago. the answer seems unrelated to my question.
It seems that you are having a permissions issue with the file system. More often than not repairing permissions from the install disc fixes these issues.