Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

Stuck or erratic mouse

Have tried holding down alt and key next to it with r and p on restart. Doesn't last.
Have to constantly replug mouse into keyboard, which may or may not always free the mouse and/or cursor. Mouse got stuck when I went to choose payment option just now. Working from Panther Mac OS X 10.3.9 system.
Is your mouse an optical mouse, or does it have a ball?

Also, have you tried using a different mouse?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: think it is optical. It's the Pro Mouse from Mac, lucite oval with red light on the bottom. Have also tried changing mouses, using the round Mac mouse with ball on the bottom.
Have you tried using a USB port directly on the machine. The keyboard ports tend to be a bit quirky.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: Will not reach machine comfortably and doesn't light up when I plug it in.
It should light up when plugged into the computer itself. I have a feeling the problem is a loose connection between the keyboard and mouse.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: so, how should I fix that?
First lets make sure that is the issue.

When you move your mouse about does the light flicker?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: No, it stays lit
This is a very odd issue, very odd.

What I would like you to try is to take a toothpick or something similar and rough up the metal contacts in the keyboard mouse port.

After doing this, take a Q-Tip and wipe the contacts with rubbing alcohol. This may or may not work. I would say to do the same with the mouse, but you say that it does it with both mice you have tried.

Let me know if this works, or doesn't. I will try some other techniques if it persists.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: will let you know, thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
think it worked, thank goodness, even so a few minutes without the dreaded sticking is worth the nine dollars, please send me an accept button.
Many thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Got much better answer for total problem at MacForum, Apple Support, FREE Thanks for your diligence.