Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

installed OS X 10.5.4 on my macbook pro ...

installed OS X 10.5.4 on my macbook pro yesterday---since then it does not detect any wireless networks---at home, in cafes, etc. What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Good Morning.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you.

Can you go to your Network Preferences and click on 'Airport' in left side list.
Is your Network Name in the pop-up list on right? Can you choose it?

Click 'Advanced' button.
Is there an IP address assigned or are all the fields empty?

Under 'Airport' tab, are there networks listed? Is the one you want to join at the top of the list? Try dragging it to the top of the list. If not, you can delete all of them and start a new list.

Click 'TCP/IP' tab and look at the IP addresses. Are they filled in or do they start with '169.xxx.xxx.xxx'?

Let me know if anything helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: Thanks Mike for your response----when i click on advanced, under the TCP/IP tab, there is nothing listed, only "using dhcp"----i also already erased the networks listed under the airport tab and started a new list.

jeff
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
So, I want to understand.

You can see the network name and you can choose to join it, but it fails to join the network?

If so, it sounds like the Aiport software got a little confused during the update.

I have more.... Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
actually i can't even see the network name---up where the airport signal in shown on the top of the screen, there aren't even any wireless networks listed (even though i know they're available)---i can't get connected to any wireless networks (nor do i even see them)----
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Is the icon in menu bar showing any strength at all? Or is it an empty Airport icon?

If you choose menu icon does it say Turn Airport On?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: no---it shows no strength and has no network listed from which i can choose----it says airport is on

jeff
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Let's trash a preference file and restart and see if it helps.

Navigate to Macintosh HD - Library - Preferences - System Configuration
Right-click and choose Move to Trash or drag the file to the Trash.

If prompted, give your admin password.

Close all your windows and restart. Check your menu bar icon after restart and see if it works.

If this helps, please click Accept.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks---i tried your fix and it didn't work---any other ideas?   thanks for all your help
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok.

This issue seems to me now to be related to the software update.

I would now recommend a re-install of the 10.5.4 Combo Installer and see if connectivity is restored. This will take a while, but this method of updating (as opposed to using Software Update to do it for you) is considered the best upgrade method.

Here is the page at Apple Support.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1054comboupdate.html

Click the file size link in the Download details box.

Let me know.

If this answer helps you, please click Accept.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi---I ended up taking the laptop to a repair center---turns out it is a hardware issue----antenna connection in display needed to be repaired. Thanks for your help---Of course I will hit accept.

Jeff