Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

im configuring a Mac Pro. Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core

Customer Question

i''m configuring a Mac Pro. Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon are standard, but I can save $500 by getting only one. Primary use of the Mac is for art work with Photoshop. No gaming or speed-intensive requirements. Can I get by on one with little noticeable performance degredation?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
Yes, a single Quad-Core Xeon will be more than sufficient for that purpose. In fact, for this purpose even the top end iMac with the Dual-Core at 3.06 GHz would work great. I am typing this on the 24" iMac 3.06, and Photoshop runs very swiftly.

Where you will see the benefit of Dual Quad Core system, is in video rendering and in scientific analysis. If I was purchasing one for our Research Lab I would purchase the top end Mac Pro. If I was ordering one for an art department I would either order the low end Mac Pro, or the top end iMac.

If you have any further questions, let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Apple does not seem to offer much help to people trying to buy their systems. Links to helpful websites for Mac configuration info would be appreciated.

This site gives many different configurations and performances for specific purposes.

This is the comparison you were after, but they don't show the Photoshop performance:

Advice on which video card:

Here is information from Apple showing that the 8 core 2.8GHz is only 1.3x faster than the 4 core 2.6GHz in Photoshop CS3 45-filter function.

Hope this helps.