Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

What file extension can be added to a Adobe Pagemaker file ...

Customer Question

What file extension can be added to an Adobe Pagemaker file to convert it back from an Apple OSX-corrupted Unix Executable file to a file that Adobe InDesign CS3 can open?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

HI,

If you open Indesign and then browse to and open the file rather than clicking the file itself will it open or do you get an error?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I get the same error I get when I drag the file icon in the finder to the InDesign CS3 icon in the dock:"Cannot open the file "pagemaker 7.0 old family file.indd". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug0in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Hmmm,

The first thing you may wish to try is to rebuild the prefs files.

Just look in the [user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version folder and rename the SavedData file and the InDesign Defaults file to SavedData file.old and InDesign Default.old then reopen the software and try again.

Let me know what happened.

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I followed the directions (with my technopeasant wife looking over my shoulder to make sure I did it right). I restarted the software. I dragged the corrupted file to the application icon, and got no response. I renamed the file with the .indd extension. I dragged that icon to the application icon, it opened InDesign, but then I got the same error message. I tried opening the file from the <file> menu, from within InDesign, and got the same error message. I tried renaming the file with .pmd, and that got the same result. I also noticed that the Version folder now has two new files, created by the software and the OS, with the old filenames on them - <InDesign Defaults> and <InDesign SavedData>. This may mean that the sofware didn't use the renamed files, so that's why I still am getting no results. So I am still back where I started. I understand that other major software has been having the same kind of problem. I haven't been involved in any Windows activity. This is a Mac operation from beginning to end. I'm amazed that Adobe and Apple would let this disaster go on all these years. They should be sky-writing the needed extensions for millions of frustrated trusters of their software.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

So,

did yu transfer these files to this mchine or did you upgrade your software?

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I transferred the files to this machines from at least two or three Apple machines ago for the earliest files. The InDesign CS v. 3.0 software is as upgraded as I can get it without spending mucho dollars on the latest version. (I just noticed that this is not Indesign CS3.) If that is my problem, and if the latest version (CS3) WOULD for sure fix this problem, then I should try that. I want to pay you for a solved problem, even if the solution is for me to upgrade. Have you heard that they fixed this problem with the latest version? Should I upgrade?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

If your files were created or modified in a newer version of the software then that would prompt this issue, So as a test you could download and try a demo of the new version and see if it works to open these files.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?promoid=BONRB&product=indesign

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am downloading it now. I will use your most recent email to me as a link to get back to you and tell you how this worked out.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I downloaded and installed Adobe InDesign CS3 v. 5.0. I get all the same problems. The Unix version of the file is dimmed in the File/Open dialog box, the .pmd version gives the error message, and the .indd version does, too. I get the same result when I try to drag the finder file icons to the application icon in the dock.

I thank you for your help on this. I now believe that the fault lies not in our stars, dear Horatio, but in our Adobe and Apple software.

I'll highly recommend you and your service to anybody who asks.

- Andy Parke