Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

Hello, I have a G5 dual 1.8 with PCI-X. I would like to ...

Hello, I have a G5 dual 1.8 with PCI-X. I would like to buy and add a second monitor. What are your suggestions?
Could you tell me what your current graphics card is in your computer?

You can find it by going to the Apple Menu>About this Mac>More Info

Under Graphics/Displays, could you copy and paste what it says there.

Also could you let me know what version of OS X you are running?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well currently I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro VRAM 64MB which I bought as an upgrade with my G5 1.8 dual core. I'm also running leopard 10.5.4. This video card has a VGA and a DVI on it. is it worth getting a new card with my new monitor? what do you think?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
To use your current Video card with 2 monitors it requires one Apple DVI to ADC adapter for the second monitor.

Your current video card is fully capable to support your dual monitors with a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 for each monitor.

What I would recommend is to try using your current video card, and if it doesn't fulfill your expectations, then you should upgrade it with an AGP video card because a PCI-Express card slot is not in the Dual G5 1.8.

Your PCI-X Slot:
graphic

PCI-Express Slot:
graphic

The best video cards for your system are the AGP versions of the Radeon X800/X850 or a GeForce 6800 Ultra.

Does this answer your question?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
After opening up the side panel, on the bottom edge of the tower. It states "1.8ghz DP/PCI-X/1GB400/250GB/R9600". This is my g5's specifications which means that I do have PCI-X slots. Is this correct?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how can I be sure if I have a PCI-X or PCI slot for sure?
Yes, it means your computer has three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100MHz, 64-bit slots"

Your current Radeon 9600 video card is installed in the AGP slot.

I was just making sure when you go to purchase a card, you don't mistakingly buy the PCI Express version. They call that PCI-E.

Thanks.
Here are the full specifications of your computer:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_2.0_dp.html

Thanks for using Just Answer!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well then can you recommend a good but not too expensive PCI-X graphic card (<$250)
I would not recommend you to get a PCI-X graphics cards (if there are even any available).

You need to purchase an AGP graphics card. I would personally recommend the Radeon® 9600 Pro PC & MAC Edition RoHS 256MB AGP card for your purposes. It has dual DVI ports for digital flat panel, and it is a very powerful card.

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=3170809