Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I am trying to establish file sharing between a Mac running ...

Customer Question

I am trying to establish file sharing between a Mac running Leopard and a Mac running OS 8.1. The two are connected via a hub and ethernet cables. The OS 8.1 system has Appleshare set to Ethernet, TCP/IP is configured manually, and File Sharing is on. But the OS X system doesn''t see the 8.1 system. In reverse, file sharing is turned on in OS X, but the 8.1 system can not connect because the "user authentication method" can''t be found. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
You need to install AppleShare Client 3.8.3 on your OS 8.1 machine.

You can get it here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58360

Let me know if this doesn't work, and we will explore other options.

-Jason
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: Yes; my AppleShare extension is already version 3.8.3
Mike is going to help you, he has a better grasp than I on communicating with OS 8. I'm more of an OS X guy.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK; I'll look forward to hearing from Mike.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with this.

Do you have AppleTalk turned on for both machines?

This Apple Support article describes how to share between Mac Os X and Mac Os 8.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549

Basically, you need AppleTalk on both the Mac OS X port you wish to use; Ethernet or Wireless, and also on Mac Os 8, on your TCP/IP port, Ethernet/EtherTalk.

After that you should be able to mount the Mac Os 8 share onto Mac Os X desktop and use it as a 2 way connection.

If this answers your question, please click Accept in this answer.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: I have followed the steps you suggest. I select "AppleShare" in the Chooser, I type in the IP address of the Mac OS X machine (192.168.0.2) and get the following error:
"The User Authentication Method required by this server can't be found, please check the AppleShare folder in the Extensions folder and try again."

Now what?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Yes, everything looks correct except in the instructions it says mount the OS 8 volume in Os X. In other words, don't use the Chooser, but use Mac OS X machine and look for OS 8 and try that.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm pretty sure it's not possible to mount the OS 8 volume in OS X. From Apple KB article 106461: "Mac OS X 10.4 and later don't support Personal File Sharing (or other AFP) over Appletalk, though by initiating the connection from the opposite direction you could still achieve an IP connection from a Mac OS 8 computer to a sharing Mac OS X computer. The Network preference pane in Mac OS X 10.4 and later still offers the AppleTalk checkbox, but it is for browsing AppleTalk-advertised resources and zones. The subsequent connection must be over TCP/IP."
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Interesting. I stand corrected.

Have you tried the two machines connected with just a cross-over cable? this would eliminate any of the troubleshooting issues in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549.

If not, I may have to opt out as well. Let me know,

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi.
Just a follow-up. Did anything work? If you fixed it let me know.

Thanks,